Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cambrill

cambrill

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

I got a new desk for my computer, so I transfered all my comp stuff into my new desk. Everything was working fine before. I turned it on and it worked great except i needed ajust some cords, so i unplugged everything and rearranged them. After plugging everything back in i turned my computer back on. I got the usual black loading bios screen with white writing. After it goes to the loading windows XP screen (right before one logs on to their XP account my monitor clicks off (as if it were on standby) and displays "DMPS OFF MODE" for a brief while then vanishs. I rebooted in safe mode and i can logon to my XP account and access my desktop. I changed my desktop to blank and my resolution to 800x680 or something like that (i had a problem with that in the past). I then rebooted my computer again and no luck. Anyone able to help me with this problem? I need to access my computer for college.

Thanks in Advance

Cambrill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

You are probably on the right track, particularly since monitor worked in safe mode. Go back into settings and lower refresh rate and see if that solves the problem.

#3 cambrill

cambrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

Not working.... thanks for the reply though

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

A link about DPMS:
http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/dpms.htm

I'd suggest trying to update your video drivers in Safe Mode. That may work.

And, just to inject a bit of humor here - here's my Monitor Troubleshooting Guide:

1) Smack monitor
2) Wiggle the cords
3) Curse at monitor
4) Go get a beer :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cambrill

cambrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

ok, i booted my comp up again and it wouldnt load it all. It was stuck at the windows XP screen. Did sonme research, figured out that it was stuck on agp440. A driver was corrupt. I followed this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324764 but it doesnt come up with a number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair and jsut a blank command promt... ill do some more research.

#6 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

Should not be a hardware issue, more to connectivity OR driver issue...... :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#7 cambrill

cambrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

It was a driver issue..which sucks. I fif everything to get my comp back up and running, but its all slow and stuff. I can't acess my video card options. Is it even installed?! Plz help maybe system restore?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

Try a restore date that existed before the problem began happening.

If that doesn't work, open your device manager and see if there are any warning flags, especially in the display adapter area.

You can update your video/graphics driver from there.

#9 cambrill

cambrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:33 AM

you can close this topic. I can see everything now. It was a agp440 problem. Please refer to my " Stuck At Xp Loading Screen!"

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users