Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Little Community Service

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:47 PM

Me and my friend were thinking about driving around with a laptop and scanning for wireless networks in the area that aren't secured so that we can tell the less secure (or the less computer savy) that in about 3 clicks anyone could gain access to the router.

The thing is I just want to know if we could get into any legal trouble for doing this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

What you are considering is called "War Driving" by hackers. A Google of that term will be an eye opener.

This is just my opinion but you could be committing Theft of Services by accessing someone else's internet account, however laudible. Perhaps tampering with or theft of information also if you access any of their shared files or folders. Since wireless equipment has its security features turned off by default many people aren't aware of the fact they are vulnerable so you would be performing a service, but how welcome you would be when you inform someone that you accessed their isp account would remain to be seen.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

Prolly not actually going to log in but just look at what networks are available and just know on the door and show them the screen...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

You might be able to make some money doing this. If you leave a flyer indicating they are at risk they could have you show them how to protect themselves.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:47 PM

Darn that is a great idea...

Can say that there network is unsecure and offer my services to secure it for them...

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

beware of doing that. You may come off as a Hacker type mob "I'm gonna make you an offer you cant refuse" kinda. Just watch your words and try not to come off forceful or shady and you should be fine. Just my thoughts but:
1) Offer your network security check first (do it to all the surrounding houses or buisness's as well so as not to come off as targeting the house) and offer it free
2)Then offer to show them how-to protect themselves and do a spyware/adware/virus scan (if their connection is open there is a possiblity of others targeting them for malicious reasons). Do this for a nominal fee.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users