Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massively Overheating CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mart9012

Mart9012

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Can't understand my computer. It's a very simple custom built pc with an AMD 5200+ processor, regular heatsink and fan and a system fan.

Following previous advice here I've cleaned out the case, taken the heatsink off and thoroughly cleaned it. I've cleaned the cpu and heatsink base and reapplied a thin layer of Arctic thermal paste, checked the heatsink is seated properly and cleaned the fan too. The cables don't seem to be obstructing airflow.

Core Temp reports about 50C after booting and this tends to rise slightly to about 64C over ten minutes. Once I open Firefox (opens to BBC News) the heat climbs to around 72C and stays there. If I open a page with interactive flash it sometimes climbs to around the 84C mark but often goes nuts and the temp climbs up to 100C and sometimes as high as 118C. It will sometimes cut out and needs to be left to cool down, often just closing the browser will drop the temp to about 84C again. But it's erratic, sometimes it will just stay happily at 50C no matter what is going on. My other PC (similar but Phenom Processor) runs sweetly at about 45C all the time!

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Mart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

From what you describe, my guess would be that either the heatsink is warping or damaged or it needs a little more thermal paste.

Here's some good instructions on applying thermal paste...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste

If that doesn't do it, the next step would be trying a new heatsink.

Hope this helps
James

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Two other thoughts.

Is the case cool to the touch?

What is the CPU usage in task manager?
High CPU usage will cause the CPU to produce more heat.

Are you sure it is getting to 118C?
That is above boiling water temp as 100C is boiling at sea level.

Have you tried using a digital probe on the CPU heatsink?
Digital Probe = one finger (A Digit IOWs)
Being very careful since if the 118C reading is true then you could get a really nasty burn.

Another thought, Are you sure the reading is in Centigrade and not in Fahrenheit where 118 would not be a hot temperature.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 09 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

When you say regular heatsink and fan are you refering to the stock one that came with that particular CPU?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users