Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

I am thinking of building a new computer withing the next year. I am thinking of getting an AMD 64 processor at 2.0 Gigahertz but might what to overclock that. Does anyone have any more suggestions on this and other parts of the computer.

BTW I buy most of my parts from www.ncix.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

what type of video card are you going to want to run????? and also have you looked into the new sata drives they are very kool well let me know
Fb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

The 3200+ Venice is a very nice overclocking chip. I have the 3000+ Venice, it's essentially the same except I have a lower multi and right now I'm running at 2.4ghz absolutely stable. So, nice choice there. To OC successfully you'll need a nice board to do it with. I like my EPoX, but DFI is the way to go if you want maximum performance and tweakage. Other than that Abit and BIOSTAR seem to make nice 939 nForce4 boards. Which are what you'll want to look at for performance and OCing. I can offer you more advice once I know what you plan to do with this computer, and your budget.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

This Computer is a gaming machine, would like to spend about 3000$ on this thing looking at dual monitors (cause I do alot of video editing and just like it) and thinking about going dual Nvidia 7800 GTX for my video card

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately, you can't use SLi and run dual monitors at the same time. :thumbsup: Though, one 7800GTX should definitely be enough for gaming and your video editing. Here's a list of parts I would choose if I were you.

DFI Ultra-D
AMD 64 Athlon 3700+
OCZ Performance 2GB PC3200
EVGA 7800GTX
OCZ 520w Modstream
Seagate Barracuda 250GB
These come to a total of $1490 CAD + shipping

Then all you need to do is add the optical drives, case, and monitors all of which should not cost more than $1500 CAD. If you want you could upgrade the CPU to an X2, but I'm not sure you would feel the performance increase for the price you pay. You may want to upgrade the stock HSF if you really want to OC with something from Zalman or Thermalright. I know you have a budget of much more than this, but the price you pay is much greater than the performance increase.

Edited by welco, 14 February 2006 - 10:39 PM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users