Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 choicefresh

choicefresh

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Latitude D620, with an Intel Core2 Duo processor. About a year ago, I upgraded from the 1GB (512MB * 2) that came with my laptop to 4GB of memory (2GB * 2). I didn't notice much of a difference, but I didn't think about it for a while. This week, I've been doing some spring (winter) cleanup. I checked my BIOS settings and noticed that they report only 2048MB of memory installed. I had already been planning on opening up my laptop to see if I could blow some dust out, so I tried reseating the 2GB memory chip accessible under the keyboard to see if it would make a difference. However, my system is still only detecting 2048MB of memory, and I am now having memory issues such as lag and programs hanging, even with only a couple of tabs open and very few background processes. I checked Task Manager and when programs hang it shows 100% CPU usage. I'm pretty sure this isn't a software issue. Do you have any suggestions?

For what it's worth, System Information (msinfo32) reports the following information:
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Thanks in advance,
choicefresh

Edited by choicefresh, 09 February 2012 - 01:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

I'd identify which stick isn't being detected, if that's the case. Sometimes memory isn't compatable and will only give you half of what it is.
Your windows will only see about 3-3.5GB due to it being 32bit.
Go to http://www.memtest.org/ download and burn their ISO and boot your laptop to run from the cd. This will check your memory for you.

#3 choicefresh

choicefresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I took out one stick and tried booting up and noticed the caps and scroll lock lights blinking, so I put that one in and tried removing the other and started up fine. Turns out one of the memory sticks wasn't fitted in properly and I've been using half the memory that I have installed for the past year or two :lol: Does this look normal now?

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.77 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB

Edited by choicefresh, 10 February 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yes it looks normal for a 32 bit windows.

I have seen some computers show that low and others that can get up to 3.5Gb. Depends on the hardware.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 choicefresh

choicefresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Cool, thanks. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic