Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need a website,url or link scanner

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 purplewarrior

purplewarrior

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hello BC guys,
Actually I need a website that scans websites or links or urls for malware,spyware,viruses etc. Please help me in finding one. So if you know any please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
(P.S. Please dont suggest mcafee siteadvisor,bcoz its not so good.)

Edited by purplewarrior, 09 February 2012 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

Hi -
Ever thought of WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/wpsetup.exe -
Been around for a while, and the new Free 2012 version is out now -

Regards -

#3 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

Hi guys,
I need one ASAP, so If anyone can suggest me one I will really be grateful to them.

(P.S To nokonjon: Hi,what is the relation between a system monitoring program and a url scanner,your reply is quite funny,LOL :hysterical: )

Edited by purplewarrior, 10 February 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

Welllll -

The original idea was to be Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Version -
It scans and blocks IPs in the broader sense, rather than exact urls, which is much better in its overall use.
But you sounded too cheap to spend the odd $25 - :whistle:

I will let you find and research that all by yourself.

Plus nobody else gave you Any sort of response -

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103743&view=findpost&p=513090
A detailed forum thread if you can be bothered to read it -

Regards -
EDIT -
exile360 is a world of information on the subject -

Edited by noknojon, 10 February 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

If the OP wants the truth, all of these sites similar to Site Advisor and Linkscanner have one thing in common. None of them are any good. And they slow down your computer. Tried them, haven't seen one yet that is worth recommending.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Since there are no real *Free* downloads for you, this is one of the few decent (free) site advisors available.
Web of Trust warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
Green to go
Yellow for caution
Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

Edited by noknojon, 10 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

The problem with WOT is it user curated meaning it is prone to skewed rankings. Someone with an agenda can cause a lot of problems.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

The problem with WOT is it user curated meaning it is prone to skewed rankings. Someone with an agenda can cause a lot of problems.

Agree - Got another idea ??

#9 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Well, I searched a lot today about an url scanner and finally found one. Its none other than virustotal.com that scans files with different AV's. I am familiar with its file scanning system. But I never used its url scanning system,so can anyone who tried it out or anyone who wants to try it please let me know about it.
Thanks a ton!!

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

Nope. None of those products are any good. They all give the user a false sense of security. Nothing can replace safe surfing habits.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Well, I searched a lot today about an url scanner and finally found one. Its none other than virustotal.com that scans files with different AV's. I am familiar with its file scanning system. But I never used its url scanning system,so can anyone who tried it out or anyone who wants to try it please let me know about it.
Thanks a ton!!

https://www.virustotal.com/

i put a url in from a local computer retailer [results 1 in 17 ]and one of the scan said it was malicious ,

not a url scanner i know but it helps ,i use spywareblaster's bad url database program of bad url, on my computer ,for IE and Firefox ,have used it for years ,some day i will pay for it to get auto updates
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Try: AVG's LinkScanner Online

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Nope. None of those products are any good. They all give the user a false sense of security. Nothing can replace safe surfing habits.

That is why Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro version is about the only "reasonable" program to use on a constant basis.
All other methods require you to submit a single file or url each time. At that rate I would never be able to "surf the web" -

"Safe surfing habits" as such, means only visiting sites that you already know are 99% safe prior to opening the site, and then you can still be caught in a "drive by" where there has been a piece of malware placed by a rogue infection. At least MBAM Pro will not let it execute the rogue 99.5% of the time.

Final result =
1) Use a program like Virus Total or AVG,s link scanner, that only uses old records of Previously Known infections
2) Use a decent Antivirus and Firewall like Kaspersky, ESET or similar
3) Combine the above 2) with a proactive malware program like MBAM Pro that is updated hourly, to stop rogue .exe,s from opening.

My final words on this, as they all rely on existing previously known items, or percentage basis (like Virus Total) -

Pointless to go on -

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

In other words, there are no free products that can be recommended. And the majority of users are looking for a free product. You need to consider that before recommending anything. Because the bottom line is that the free products available in this category all suck. If that is the answer, don't beat around the bush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users