Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot after shutdown

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oaleo

Oaleo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

I've been having this weird problem for a while. If I try to turn on my computer after shutting down, sometimes even sleeping, the fans will spin and lights will come on but it won't boot. The GPU fan also goes crazy every five seconds, until I shut it down manually via the PSU switch. I've switched the case and the ram in the past few years and I still have the problem. I've already tried updating the BIOS, triple checked all my wiring, so I assume it must be some faulty hardware, but I don't know what.

Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
Phenom II X4 965 BE
Radeon 5850
Corsair HX850

Edited by Oaleo, 08 February 2012 - 10:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

When you switched the case did you also switch the power supply? If not can you swap in a known good one to test?

That is only one possibility which is why I say test.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

If you have a PS/2 mouse plugged into it you can try setting it to "Power On By Mouse" in the BIOS under Power Management and see if that exhibits the same behavior. If it works correctly with the mouse then quadruple check your wiring of the power switch :)

James

#4 Oaleo

Oaleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

When you switched the case did you also switch the power supply? If not can you swap in a known good one to test?

That is only one possibility which is why I say test.

I didn't, and I don't have another power supply to test it with.

If you have a PS/2 mouse plugged into it you can try setting it to "Power On By Mouse" in the BIOS under Power Management and see if that exhibits the same behavior. If it works correctly with the mouse then quadruple check your wiring of the power switch :)

James

No PS/2 mouse, sorry.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

As a work around you could do what I do.

When I shut down I then throw the Power switch on the power strip to remove AC from the computer and accessories. That helps keep surges out too.
I have set in the Bios settings to turn on after power loss.
When I turn on the power strip the computer comes on automatically.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

oops double post

Edited by rotor123, 09 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Oaleo

Oaleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

As a work around you could do what I do.

When I shut down I then throw the Power switch on the power strip to remove AC from the computer and accessories. That helps keep surges out too.
I have set in the Bios settings to turn on after power loss.
When I turn on the power strip the computer comes on automatically.

I appreciate the help. I suppose I'll have to take it to a computer shop so they can figure it out, then I can rma whatever's faulty.

If you had to guess, would you think it would be the power supply or the motherboard? And why?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I can not tell you why since I've seen it from all three causes and there may be more causes too.

Motherboard
Power supply
Windows problem.

So I just start with the easiest.

I try a spare power supply, if that doesn't do It I move to the next stage.

Spare Hard drive and a fresh load of windows.
Since to me that is fairly easy because I keep spare drives around and I don't bother to activate just for testing.

if that fails then I look at the motherboard.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users