Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit No Sound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 oblivioncth

oblivioncth

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello,
About a year ago I built my cousin a computer using some spare parts I had around using an original Creative Audigy as the sound card. Due to him trashing so that it had the BSOD, and me not quite liking the setup I had placed on it, I took the computer from him to wipe the OS and reinstall it. This time however the sound doesn't work and I've tried everything. I am not ignorant to computing and am 99% of the time self sufficient so this is an expert (mostly) reaching out to other experts as this problem has me stumped.

I tried installing the drivers and reinstalling them, letting windows install it's default drivers to which it says it couldn't find any, installing a creative compatibility pack, removing Upper and Lower Filter entries in the registry (bit of a last ditch), standard windows troubleshooting in which it says "An unexpected error occurred. The trouble shooting wizard can't continue.", replacing the sound card with an Auzentec X-fi Prelude and installing and reinstalling its drivers, checking windows update for drivers, etc.

The two main errors I have are: "No audio output device detected" when hovering over the speaker icon with the red X, and "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" in the device manager with a yellow triangle flag over the device.

Do note that this install is a striped install using RT Se7en Lite which took out things like Windows Media Player and the default drivers, etc. but since I realized that this could be the problem, I made a new partition and installed clean, unaltered Windows 7 32bit on it and the problem remains even on that install.

I've run chkdsk and sfc which got to about 13% and said it found corrupted files but couldn't fix them which might be the problem but the log didn't have anything I recognized as I haven't deciphered one of them before, so I am unsure and that could just be due to the stripping that RT Se7en Lite did (unless the master file list that sfc uses is generated from when you install windows, not just a default list).

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

EDIT:

It appears I spoke too soon. I thought that the problem persisted on the clean install but I hadn't installed the drivers yet. So I installed the drivers on the clean install and the audio worked. So it seems that something I stripped out using RT Se7en Lite did break the Audio.

(As a side note when I went into the clean install the "Multi-Media Audio Device" showed up with a question mark where as in the stripped install it shows up with a yellow triangle when the drivers aren't installed).

So does anyone help me care to find out what critical file I removed because I put a TON of work into this and don't wont to have and reinstall, let alone figure out what part I need to recheck in RT Se7en Lite. Could sfc possibly restore the missing files?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by oblivioncth, 08 February 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Please do not use Pirated or illegal versions of Windows such as RT Se7en Lite, so does this card work in another computer?

Mod Edit: Configuration Tool, similar to nLite ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#4 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Please do not use Pirated or illegal versions of Windows such as RT Se7en Lite, so does this card work in another computer?

As I said in my edit, I tested the sound card on another install on a different partition and it works so it is definitely a software problem with the stripped install. The stripped build I made is still using the legal CD key of the copy of Windows 7 I own so this is entirely legal (unless simply using RT Se7en Lite is illegal).

It seems I am simply missing a few files that Windows 7 needs to load audio drivers and I think sfc might have identified that but I am not sure.

I just need to know what files that Windows uses are related to loading audio drivers.

Thanks.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

As I said if it works using the full unstripped version of Windows 7 then use it. Using stripped versions of operating system's is not condoned here.

The files could be numerous, and would be like installing the full version of the OS. One should not be messing with services or operating system files unless they know what they are doing.

As such my assistance ends when you start using pirated and illegal versions of any OS.

#6 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

As I said if it works using the full unstripped version of Windows 7 then use it. Using stripped versions of operating system's is not condoned here.

The files could be numerous, and would be like installing the full version of the OS. One should not be messing with services or operating system files unless they know what they are doing.

As such my assistance ends when you start using pirated and illegal versions of any OS.

Well sorry then, thanks anyway.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

But I do have one question what is that you do not like about regular windows 7 that you need to use a pirated modified one?

#8 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well first of all i don't agree with your use of the word "pirated" because I'm not stealing anything. It might be illegal to use the tool but it's not piracy.

For your question, I have nothing wrong with Windows 7 I like it just how is. Im not some weird guy that is modding Windows 7 because I don't like it. The problem is that I'm running my cousins machine on some older hardware so to get the best performance I removed unnecessary processess and services that he wont use, and turned off indexing, etc. to reduce the overhead as much as possible. That is why.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

if the hardware wont cut it then I would recommend going back with Windows XP as it is better suited for older hardware, and I will use the term pirated, because that is what it is. It is stolen copy of Windows 7 even though you have a legit license that key is only meant to be used on Windows 7 that are from the OEM Distributor.

The modded version could include malware that would allow the Modder of that OS unfettered access to your personal and private data.

Where did you get this Windows 7 Key from?

#10 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

True it could be unsafe but I have used it elsewhere with no known trouble. Also I'm trying to use Windows 7 because he likes the interface and the hardware isn't old enough that it is horrid with stock windows, I just wanted a little boost, it just runs a tiny bit slow normally. I am aware of XP as I have used it before and have worked with computers all my life and was raised as a power user+. I could do that but if this works than why not.

Also I understand OEM keys are only for use on their distributed setup, but this is a retail copy not an OEM key.

Edited by oblivioncth, 09 February 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

The Retail Key can only be used with a Legit Retail Installation, and not a modified version for which is being distributed freely. So again you are violating the terms and conditions you agreed to buy accepting the EULA.

#12 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I wasn't aware, but I find that harsh and wont act differntly because of it. I understand why you can't help however.

Sorry to waste your time.

#13 sschong83

sschong83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

I faced the same issue and after weeks of check and search Internet I not able to find a solution, which those solution like re-install with latest version of drivers, modifying upper/lower filter of registry keys etc all not working.

Finally I tried with a full version of Windows 7 installation and sound seems no issue, then I compare the full version with the slim version with RT7 Lite and found that the RT7 Lite version missing some essential drivers under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

1)drmk.sys
2)drmkaud.sys
3)portcls.sys

After I get the above 3 drivers files and placed under system32 and restart PC, voola the sound is back.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

RT7 Lite appears to be unsupported.