Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bleeping computer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 carpman1

carpman1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

hi everyone, i have a strange problem, when i boot my pc there is a ticking noise. its 2 ticks a pause then a third tick the hdd light flashes when it ticks. im sorry if this sounds a bit green.after about 7 of these 3ticks it boots to win7 64 ult. i have been told so many things or reasons, but no joy. i was told it might be the psu dimming down, so i bought a new one(no joy) then i was told it could be the hdd so i bought a new one (no joy).the only other thing is ram and m/b, i have never heard of ram causing an issue like this so i feel im left with the m/b.the m/b was bought new, its a gigabyte am2+, cant rem the model number right now, but can post it tomorrow.im worried that if i dont find out what it is it could cause damage.i have ran so many searchs to know avail. i really hope some one can help me solve this mystery as im stumped.

m/b giga
8gb ram
win 7 ult
caviar black hdd
850w psu
giga gpu 1gb gddr5
lg br rom
lg rom

thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hello try this http://murfsgarage.cybertechhelp.com/biosbeeps.html

#3 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hello try this http://murfsgarage.cybertechhelp.com/biosbeeps.html

many thx for the rapid and very helpful reply. it looks like its either ram or m/b, at least im getting close. thx again.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

I don't believe he's hearing beeps but rather HDD head clicks. The fact that it does eventually start says either the hard drive has not completely failed yet or that it is not getting the power it needs.

Are there any other symptoms beside the ticking and delay of boot?

Edited by LucheLibre, 08 February 2012 - 06:20 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

You may want to run the Manufacturer's Diagnostic utility.
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Edited by boopme, 09 February 2012 - 10:20 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

I don't believe he's hearing beeps but rather HDD head clicks. The fact that it does eventually start says either the hard drive has not completely failed yet or that it is not getting the power it needs.

the only other symptom is now and again for no reason i get the bsod.the hdd is a wd caviar black and i was thinking it was faulty also, but according to the site above two clicks followed by any number of clicks is ram, either ram failure or ram slot failure i have a funny feeling its the later. i will take out the ram today and see if i can find a fault, tho my pc is reading the full 8gb.

#7 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

i forgot to mention i switched boot hdd and it still clicks so im pretty sure its not the hdd.

#8 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

You may want to run the Nanufacturer's Diagnostic utility.
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

i ran the test and it shows drive is ok.im pleased as i cant remember where i bought it from.

#9 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

i have been told to check my cpu usage in task manager and told it should read 100% or near to. mine shows 0%, i opened a couple of programs and the highest i can get it is 25%, am i reading it right?

ram runs at 1,45gb a constant blue line.

Edited by carpman1, 09 February 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#10 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

you have me worried now, it is clicks and not beeps.

#11 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

i just checked my ram and located the click, its comming from the little speaker attached to the motherboard.i changed the ram around but its still clicking so im guessing motherboard needs replacing.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

i have been told to check my cpu usage in task manager and told it should read 100% or near to. mine shows 0%, i opened a couple of programs and the highest i can get it is 25%, am i reading it right?

Hello, I had to edit... I wrote it backward..99 IS GOOD

Let me quote Ask Leo for a good explanation..

The fact is that most computers can never really do nothing. When the computer is on, the CPU's running and it must do something - even if that "something" is waiting for something real to do.

Think of it as your computer just twiddling its virtual thumbs, waiting for something more important to do. The computer's doing something (virtual thumb twiddling), but we wouldn't call that doing anything useful.

That's called being idle.

And the "System Idle Process" is the software that runs when the computer has absolutely nothing better to do.

It effectively runs at the lowest possible priority so that if anything, anything at all, comes along for the CPU to work on, it can. When there's nothing left to do, back to idle it goes.

So having the System Idle Process using 90% of your CPU is a good thing ... it means that that 90% is readily availble should there be any real work to do.

Edited by boopme, 09 February 2012 - 04:18 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hello, no you are not. an open application will show some CPU use,as in your. A very high number by a process is usually a problem.

The main one is System Idle Process. This should be at 0 not 100% when there are no applications open.

In other words the system is "idle" doing nothing "0"
This image is a problem.. Notice ,No processes running yet the idle is at 99.
http://www.downloadatoz.com/resources/201012/pic/1293438758.jpg

i cant find it lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 carpman1

carpman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

sorry i found it. lol. 99

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I corrected my post above as I wrote it backward... 99 is good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users