Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP runs wild

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi All,
I'm running XP SP3 fully updated. For the most part it runs OK, however, it frequently starts opening and closing various menus, dialogue boxes, the Start Menu, context menus, opens programs, closes programs all by itself, quite often this opening and closing is of menus etc. that I've recently opened deliberately.

With the exception of the Start menu, the items that appear will be scattered across the screen. This opening and closing happens very rapidly but will slow to a stop providing, that is, I don't use the mouse or keyboard. If I use the mouse or keyboard while the opening and closing is happening it will continue and not slow or come to a stop. If, once this opening and closing has slowed and stopped, I try to use the mouse or keyboard it will start again and basically the PC becomes uncontrollable. Anything I click does not open or start. The problem seems to be associated with holding the Ctrl key down whilst using other keys or the mouse,
occasionally the same happens when holding the Shift key down.

The only way I can regain control of the PC is to press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Once the Task Manager has started I only need to shut it down again to regain control, however, even this sometimes does not work and then my only option is to power down with the on/off switch and cold reboot. The PC has had this problem for some while but I have been unable to find a solution.

In an effort to establish if the problem is hardware related I've unplugged the expansion cards, changed expansion cards, swapped memory modules over, changed memory modules, disconnected all drives except the 'C' drive, removed and refitted the CPU.

The PC was recently infected with malware of some kind, despite using the latest and updated Sophos AV, however, this infection was within the last couple of weeks and I don't think the two are related unless the original problem enabled the infection to occur. Hopefully I have removed this malware by using Malwarebytes and ComboFix.

I have uninsulated all trialware and some other programs that I don't or am unlikely to use and then ran CrapCleaner to clean up afterwards.

The Windows Event log does not show any problem that I can Identify.

I know I could reinstall the OS but I would prefer to find and fix the problem if possible. Any assistance in solving this would be be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sounds as though your system is infected. I'm asking the staff to move this to the appropriate forum.

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Sounds as though your system is infected. I'm asking the staff to move this to the appropriate forum.

Thanks.

Perhaps a silly question but which forum would that be?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sit tight, they will do it for you. But it's the Am I Infected forum.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hello, it would seem the best thing is to review your logs.
Having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you have.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users