Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foxfire ONLY opening bookmarked websites

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hello,
Just new to BC and very impressed with depth of info. I certainly appreciate the time and attention given to others
I am using Mozilla Foxfire 10 installed. All had been working fine. Yesterday realized that in that browser I can only open the sites in my bookmarks.The sites that on my toolbar also. Or I can Google it, and then click on the searched site from there. Once in a site I can access other sites that appear in it.
When I open a new tab, and then go to the address bar to type it in and press enter...nothing happens and nothing appears in the Tab button as it , does when clicking on one in the bookmarked sites
I followed the procedure in Tools , removing cookies, history etc. nothing. When I went in to the system info about Mozilla, it shows I think that something occurred on Jan 29 at 5:30 am (lol it could have been me) .
I ran scans and all is clean and safe. Currently using AVG antiVirus 2011.

When I use Internet Explorer all works. I want to stay with Mozilla, I prefer it, and all my treasured bookmarks are there.
I am housebound and not very technically adept so again I do tk for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Did you try to reinstall it?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yes I did that. When I do that, does it mean I have 2 on my computer, cuz I didn't remove other, was afraid to lose things in it. ?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

You have uninstall Firefox then install fresh copy.
If you don't want to lose your bookmarks, export them and then re-import after fresh installation.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Broni, ok I will give it a go, I checked my programs add/remove and it is in only the once. I am very nervous and a dinosaur at this. Let u know , thanks for your help.

#6 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Broni I am reading how to backup \ export\import\ restore bookmarks before I go removing Foxfire and then re installing it Tks for your input

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Sure thing :)

My Website

#8 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Ok so here's where I am now.

In Library for Foxfire Bookmarks I went to Import\backups

1st. I did a BACKUP to my external hard drive, it created a file. JSONFILE , But it will not open in either Foxfire or IE

2nd Exported to the HD, it saved it as a HTML file, BUT it auto saved it in IE ....says FireFOxHTML ??? iT DOES OPEN

So after will it open into Firefox ??? I will be lost without them

Edited by LucyGoose, 10 February 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

You don't open that file.
You go very same way but this time instead of "Export", you go "Import" and navigate to your backup file.

My Website

#10 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

tks again Broni, still nervous but will go for it.

#11 LucyGoose

LucyGoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Woo HOO , so glad I didn't go thru with a complete uninstall and reinstall of Foxfire. Was too concerned about losing bookmarks and preferences etc etc. So did so lengthy reading. I think I have solved the problem.
1st: to Tools, Add Ons, Appearance : then click Default theme. Then to Help , to disable all add ons in safe mode, restart and....I was able to finally open a random site in the address bar again. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues. I guess one of the add ons was not compatible.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Nice job :)

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users