Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Transferring Files from Infected PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheeky88

Cheeky88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

My windows 7 PC was infected by a trojan virus, it went haywire, I have done lots of scans, but I doubt it will ever be the same. So I have decided to do a reformat. Unfortunately, my backup drive was connected at the time of the infection. So I have bought a brand new 1TB External HDD so that I can transfer the important files onto it, before the reformat.

Now, I think, as the computer is still probably got malicious software running, that using a Linux Live CD to copy my important files to the external drive would be the safest solution?

After the computer has been reformatted, I can then proceed to disable autoplay, plug in the backup drive and scan it for infected files that I may have backed up with it.

Thoughts?

P.S. I am new here, please be nice :)

Thanks again!

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2012 - 01:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hi cheeky -
Instead of going to all that trouble, do you think that our Malware Removal forum may help to clean your system first ??
Personally I would post there and try to remove the infections, and hope that was the best way for you.

Follow the directions above the Malware Removal area, post the required logs, and an expert may be able to save you many days of problems.
Remember that if your system is infected, it must be cleaned at some time prior to using it again -

Thank You -

Mod Edit: Moved to AII, please report such topics rather than suggest OP repost, thank you ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2012 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users