Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible error with my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 campingtree

campingtree

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

My computer a custom tower i built about 4 years ago gives me 4 beeps on startup and nothing appears on my monitor the beeps go like this: 1 beep for about 2 seconds and 3 beeps that go for about 1 second each anybody know whats going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

You can go to the website of your bios provider and check the beep codes.

#3 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

If you know your bios you can check the codes here http://murfsgarage.cybertechhelp.com/biosbeeps.html

#4 MisterrFixIt

MisterrFixIt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

SUSPECT BIOS MFG IS UNKNOWN SO SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:
USUALLY 1 LONG 3 SHORTS ARE EITHER VIDEO OR MEMORY.
If MOB has a VGA port try removing video card and putting cable in MOB VGA Slot.
If no VGA on MOB, just remove card and boot. Do symptoms change?
If no luck with above try memory, If 2 sticks remove one, test, then the other, test.

#5 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

SUSPECT BIOS MFG IS UNKNOWN SO SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:
USUALLY 1 LONG 3 SHORTS ARE EITHER VIDEO OR MEMORY.
If MOB has a VGA port try removing video card and putting cable in MOB VGA Slot.
If no VGA on MOB, just remove card and boot. Do symptoms change?
If no luck with above try memory, If 2 sticks remove one, test, then the other, test.

Ya beat me to it MisterrFixIt...
Yup, 1 long/3 short almost always indicates video/display issues. If you have an AMI bios, diagnosing the issue will be a snap. If it's a Phoenix bios..... not so much. The good news is there is plenty of help out there for you to diagnose and address the situation without very much effort and/or stress.

Good luck with it!

Coach

PS: If you are using a video card rather than onboard graphics, the very first thing to do is remove and reseat your vid card. If nothing has changed on your system since the last time your system booted normally and the first time you got the beeps, a reseat will more than likely be the solution. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :thumbup2:

Edited by Coach Steve, 08 February 2012 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users