Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Asks To Be Formatted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 avepetra

avepetra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Why is my usb drive suddenly saying that it is not formatted? I have saved many files before with no problem and now it suddenly won't let me open anything without telling me to format first. If I do format, will it erase everything on it? Is there anything I can do? I have all of my homework and job-related information on it. Please help me, some nice person, please!
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

The request to format the drive probably indicates a problem with your usb device. Hopefully something on the drive is corrupted, but it may also indicate a physical problem.

Do you have your data backed up somewhere? That is always a good idea and If you do try to format the drive and see if the computer recognizes the drive. This will cost you any data you have on your device.

If you need to try and recover files off the device, I would suggest going to the manufacturers website and see if they have any device. They may also have specific information on formatting drive. Some manufacturers suggest not formating usb drives using Windows standards.

Good luck.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

I would try pluging the usb drive into another computer first.

Reformating it destroys all data on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users