Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD card reader gone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brett119

Brett119

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

I am using a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5895 that is running Windows Vista Home Premium. About a year ago, the SD card reader on my laptop stopped working. I ignored it at the time, as I hardly used it. Now that I need it, I looked closer into the problem. I looked into my device manager list, and the driver is not even listed! After some research, I discovered that others have had similar problems and they fixed them by reinstalling the drivers. After searching the Toshiba site, I found this. After installing, I restarted the computer as it instructed me to do. After logging back in, there was no change! I have tried this three times now, so I came here looking for some help. Could someone give me some advice/help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Is the media card reader an internal device? If so, boot into Setup (Bios) and see if it is listed, it may be Disabled. Choose to Enable it Save and Exit. When you restart, you should get a new hardware wizard.

#3 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Ok, I am not that much of a computer whiz, but this is what I did: I shut off the laptop and booted into setup. There were about ten things labeled, and two of them were disabled. I enabled them and saved, but when I restarted there was no change!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

You said

I looked into my device manager list, and the driver is not even listed!

Does that mean you see it and it shows as disabled or with a yellow mark or that you do not even see it listed?

If you do see it what is the hardware device ID?
If it isn't showing in the Device Manager at all drivers won't help.

I'm working from memory but in general on a Toshiba laptop where the card reader is in the front of the L/T the card reader is a part of the Motherboard and not a separate replaceable part.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 February 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

This is everything on my Device Manager. Am I missing something?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

The last thing i can think of is did you activated the SD-Card service??

Try the following:

click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Smartcard; then start the smartcard service if not already did and enable it as a service.

When you click on Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reder does it say if the hadware is enabled.

Edited by Crashoveride420, 08 February 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#7 Brett119

Brett119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Ok, I got to services and found Smartcard. It was stopped, so I started it. There is still no response from the card reader. This is what the card reader shows me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

It looks like windows thinks it is working.

Two possibles come to mind at this point. Are you trying a small SD card
One the card is not compatible with the reader.
Pins are bent in the reader slot.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users