Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk log

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

*sigh* I need to know where the log for chkdsk is located. I know the sounds a hard drive makes when it is on the outs. The computer in question is a Compaq with Win 7. I also ran the system checks that come up when I press ESC at boot up and when it did the hard disk it said, Get a new hard drive. LOL I watched the chkdsk for the end result and you know how fast it goes, I did manage to see a 20 something corrupt something. I need to see the log file so I can figure out if I can still get mileage out of that one or just get a new one. I have an Acer lonnnng ago that had a bunch of bad sectors and I used it as a test computer long after I was done with it.

Jann the chatty one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think it is in Event Viewer>> Control Panel>Admin tools

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I shall try that in the morning. Thanks!!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

In XP the chkdsk log is in the Application section of the Event Viewer under an entry called winlogon. It should be similar for Win7.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

I am using XP Pro on this machine and could never find the log, thanks!! I was in the Event Viewer on the Compaq earlier and decided that I need to learn how to use it.

Jann

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I hope you have backed up anything important off of the failing drive.

I also hope you made the Recovery DVDs so You can get back up and running when the drive dies.

The failing drive may limp along for a while or when you turn it on the next day have died.

When I detect a failing drive it's replaced ASAP.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

I hope you have backed up anything important off of the failing drive.

I also hope you made the Recovery DVDs so You can get back up and running when the drive dies.

The failing drive may limp along for a while or when you turn it on the next day have died.

When I detect a failing drive it's replaced ASAP.

Good Luck
Roger

Roger, on that particular laptop, a friend gave it to me to wipe a virus. Then he decided he would get a new laptop and gave me this one. I had it once before a year or so ago and had to restore Vista/Win7. I had been asking for help because I was doing something wrong and didn't remember how I wiped it and restored it last time. One of the times I booted up, I heard the hdd and just knew trouble was afoot!

I don't have to back up anything, which is a good thing. And I realize I need a new hdd, just don't know when I can do that. I can't find the logs from chkdsk, but know it doesn't matter. Thank you for your answer!! I am sure I will be back in these forums sooner that later...

Jann

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

In XP the chkdsk log is in the Application section of the Event Viewer under an entry called winlogon. It should be similar for Win7.

In vista and windows7,we need to check in WININIT

Thanks

#9 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Right now this thread is useless to me!! LOL The hdd in that machine has fried sectors, so until I get a new hdd and OS for it, I don't need to know. Bit just for grins, when I get back home I will look there. Now, is that a RUN command or a folder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users