Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC spontaneously restarts, no BSoD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chromillusion

Chromillusion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an interesting problem which I have been trying to fix for several months, but with no luck so far. Essentially what happens is that my PC will occasionally reboot itself with no warning whatsoever. All of the sudden the screen just goes black like I hit the reset button. I've put a lot of time into trying to figure out what is going on but nothing has worked yet. I've had this computer for years but replaced most of the parts at one time or another. Most recent was a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. The problem started around two months after that. I'm posting this in the Windows 7 forum because I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

For the most part these restarts don't appear entirely random. There seem to be very specific triggers for it. First time it happened I was launching a game (Nexus: The Jupiter Incident) which I have put many hours into without issue. The moment I clicked Launch Mission my screen went black. After this point, many of my games will do this the moment I launch them. What's curious to me is that not all games do, and level of graphical intensity seems to be unrelated as I can run some newer games for hours on end without issue. The other situation in which this happens without fail is if I play a video in fullscreen for more than ten seconds or so. I can play them windowed just fine. It will happen occasionally while surfing the internet and streaming videos as well, but not consistently. I don't believe it has ever occurred while my PC wasn't being actively used. If I boot up in Safe Mode, however, I can play fullscreen videos all day and it has never restarted, nor under any other circumstance that I can replicate in Safe Mode.

Every once in a while things like my keyboard and mouse won't register as being plugged in when my computer reboots again, but if I move them to another USB port they work fine. My external hard drive sometimes won't power on with the reboot as well. I don't know if these are relevant but I want to put every piece of information out here as possible, just in case.

The challenging thing about this is that there is no Blue Screen when it happens. The first thing I did was turn off the automatic restart on BSoD option but it made no difference. No dump files are ever saved and in the Event Viewer I just get Event 41, Kernal-Power with bugcheck codes and parameters all 0.

I did a lot of research on similar problems and these are the suggestions I have tried so far. The first was faulty RAM, and I've run Memtest86 with no errors found. I've run each RAM stick individually and switched slots too. I've run CPU and GPU stress tests, none of which came up with any error or caused the computer to restart. I've rolled back drivers with no result, and reinstalling them made no difference either. Overheating seems unlikely to me because I can run high intensity programs for hours with no issue, and surfing the internet causes it. I've considered that the PSU is faulty, it is probably the oldest thing left on it, but from what I've read PSU problems cause this more randomly, and it happens to me under pretty specific conditions. System Restore doesn't have a restore point prior to the problem starting. I've run full scans with Avast! Antivirus which found nothing of note.

Of course, I'm no expert and so I appreciate and am willing to try any suggestions anyone has. No matter what I do I can't seem to figure this out and it's driving me crazy. There may be more details I can add but that's all I remember off the top of my head. I did some searching on the forums but didn't find anything obviously like my problem. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest.

Windows 7 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz
Asus M488TD-V EVO/USB 3 motherboard
2 x 2Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Ram
250 Gb Western Digital HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hi -
I assume you know this support Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

There are also pointers towards the temperatures of the Vid card and CPU and voltages, some a bit beyond me -

I think i found the problem for that Event 41 thing. It seems that my video card was overheating. I mounted a cooler on it and now I'll have to see if it still shuts down. You'd better check the temps too, because mine was pretty serious, 90 degrees celcius on the GPU core, pretty insane i think. Hope this new info helps you too.

This person is also still trying to solve it http://www.commoncentsservice.com/?p=10

Best of luck with it - :)

#3 Chromillusion

Chromillusion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

I have run across that Microsoft Knowledge Base page before, and going by that I'm mostly left with overheating and PSU being underpowered. I've been using SpeedFan to monitor my temperatures and it doesn't seem to point to anything too abnormal. GPU is running about 51 degrees C right now, though honestly I can't say what qualifies as overheating. I'm running a 600 watt Thermaltake PSU, should that be enough? Admittedly I bought that in 2007 when I originally built this PC, and I've added much more intense stuff since. My dream fix right now is just to replace the PSU. Thoughts on that?

As for the other link, this is not the first time I've seen someone say they've built whole new systems and it still doing it, blaming Windows 7 for the problem. Hoping that's not the case though.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm running a 600 watt Thermaltake PSU ......My dream fix right now is just to replace the PSU

Not a silly idea if you can afford a larger one that, although I only run 600 watt, but I do not play intense games at all.

Temp wise, all temps should be under 50C, as a general rule or you are driving it too hard, or need Vid card and other upgrades -
EXTRA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 generally gets a good write-up as a decent Vid card for most usage.

Regards -

#5 MisterrFixIt

MisterrFixIt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Sounds more like a MOB problem than a W7 issue to me. Sometimes you might have a thermal issue with a non measured component. To test that you could cool the MOB using a large fan blowing in with the covers removed and try one of your failing scenarios. If it works now, you've ID'd your problem. If not, nothing lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users