Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Works Fine, But Cant Get On Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ski11racr

ski11racr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

I just got a brand new computer with wireless capabilities. After some configuring, i am connected to my home network, but i cant connect to the internet that is set up on the host computer. i have already checked all the settings on my computer, disabled the firewall (because i have windows xp sp2), and reset the router twice. i am just wondering what else could be the problem. could the local area connection have something to do with it? please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

How did you attempt to hook up so far? Did you try this:

start > control panel > network connections > wireless network setup wizard
~~~~~~
Or this on the host computer:

start > control panel . network connections > setup or change your work or home network setup
Run the wizard, choose "This computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer"
~~~~~~~~

Wait a minute. Upon rereading your original post, I need to know what you are using a router for. Is it a wireless router? If so, then your new computer is not connecting to the internet through the 'host' computer, but rather through the router.

I shall await your answers.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 14 February 2006 - 01:13 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ski11racr

ski11racr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

that was the first thing i did

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Arre you trying to access the internet thru the hos computer, or thru the router? If you are trying to access thru the host computer, stop and go thru the router.
If you are going thru the host computer it will be in ad hoc mode.
Go to Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /all. What is your Gateway, if any?

Edited by acklan, 14 February 2006 - 01:32 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users