Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Silverlight Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 safeskies

safeskies

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I am having trouble with my computer crashing and I'm thinking part of the problem might be Microsoft Silverlight. It crashes routinely when watching Netflix, but not during any other type of video. I'm trying to figure out how Silverlight works. Does it run continuously in the background as a process or service? I can't find anything named so in task manager. Does it only run when called upon by the browser while watching Netflix and then immediately terminate upon closing? Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2012 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Similar to Flash, Silverlight only runs when needed. It could be a bug in Netflix. Maybe you could contact them or see if they have a help forum.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

+1

It's possible a recent update to Silverlight is not compatible with Netflix. Contacting their support would be my first step.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 safeskies

safeskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've contacted Netflix and they can't think of anything. I believe it is a conflict with my processor, but I'm not sure how. That helps to know that Silverlight only runs on demand. Are there any other common application where Silverlight is invoked, or a way to tell when it is? My computer routinely crashes during Netflix, but has done so a couple other times as well, so I'm trying to see if Silverlight may have been running those times, or if I have a different problem. Thanks!

Also, I have tried a previous version of Silverlight with the same results. This is a new computer that has never run Netflix well, my laptops and PS3 have never had a problem.

Edited by safeskies, 08 February 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Can you please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy so we can get a better idea of your computer's specs?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I've contacted Netflix and they can't think of anything. I believe it is a conflict with my processor, but I'm not sure how. That helps to know that Silverlight only runs on demand. Are there any other common application where Silverlight is invoked, or a way to tell when it is? My computer routinely crashes during Netflix, but has done so a couple other times as well, so I'm trying to see if Silverlight may have been running those times, or if I have a different problem. Thanks!

Also, I have tried a previous version of Silverlight with the same results. This is a new computer that has never run Netflix well, my laptops and PS3 have never had a problem.

Silverlight is Microsoft's version of Adobe's Flash. Most video applications like Youtube use Flash. Netflix is the only major application that uses Silverlight. For starters, I think think you need to be more persistent with Netflix. It seems that their response to any technical problem is "I dunno". That is pathetic customer service. They should be ashamed of themselves. Silverlight could be corrupted. Some users have had success uninstalling Silverlight using Revo Uninstaller. Then download a fresh copy. Caution! Do not use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Silverlight. It will not remove it completely and you won't be able reinstall it. Revo will remove it completely.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users