Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not start

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

I am suddenly unable to start my computer. The windows xp appears and then goes to a blue screen. The screen reads: stop:oxoooooo24 ( oxoo190203,ox89c249f8, oxcoooo102, oxoooooooo)
I tried to boot into safe mode but I get another blue screen that dissapears before I can read it. If I try to boot into the recovery console I get a blue screen that reads: Stop: oxoooooo7B (oxF78D2524, oxcooooo34, oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo)

This may have been the result of an automatice update. I am not sure. I have not made any changes to this computer at all. Your help would be appreciated. I am hoping to save all the files and software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like the blue screen of death.... do you have the windows xp cd to do a repair?

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello Pupil of PC,

What is your computer make and model number? Does the computer have a functional Floppy Drive?

The error codes implicate any number of potential problems from hard drive controller issues, hard drive corruption, MBR virus, etc.

If you can access the "Advanced Options Menu" where "Safe Mode" is listed, arrow down and try "Last Known Good Configuration."

If that doesn't work and you know that the computer has sata drives, enter BIOS Setup and look for the sata configuration setting. If set for ACHI, try changing to IDE or ATA. If you don't have sata drives, try setting BIOS to "Default Settings" (Safe Boot Options or the like). Save changes and reboot.

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

As suggested by Artrooks the errors could indicate a hard drive problem, please follow his suggestions.

You can use this guide to save all your important data as long as the hard drive has not completely failed.Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

If Artrooks suggestions don't produce a posisitve result then please follow this guide to test the health of the hard drive.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

#5 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My computer is a HP Media Center PC M7350N.
I do have aaa HP recovery tools CD.
I tried last known good configuration and still got the blue screen.

I am not sure what the SATA drives are but what I found reads: SATA mode= RAID

Now what can I try?

#6 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I also tried going to the website of my HD manufacturer on the link provided by Mark 1956. I could not find a download for a ISO (CD)? My hard drive is a Samsung SP 2504c.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Samsung now is part of Seagate.

Louis

#8 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I know this. I went to the website suggested and I do not know what to do next as the suggestion Mark1956 made is not available. Sorry I need a bit more detail than this.

thanks

#9 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

If you click on this line in my instructions: Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum, then follow links for SeaTools in my instructions and you will get there.

Click on the link in my instructions.
On the Seagate Website click on Seatools in the list of Most Popular Downloads.
Next page click on Go To Download under Seatools for Dos.
Then click on Download Seatools for Dos ISO image (see the attachment)
The follow the rest of my instructions to use Imgburn to create the CD.

[attachment=118677:Seatools for Dos.JPG]

Edited by mark1956, 08 February 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Mark. It downloaded fine. I ran both the short test and the long test. Both passed. Is there anything else I need to do with this or do I restart to see if it worked. Is there something on the log that you need before I close it down?

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Ok, that is good , your hard drive is ok.

You can try another boot but I doubt anything will have changed as the diagnostics only check to make sure the drive is electrically and mechanically sound, it does not change any of the data.

Next, you will need an XP disc, do you have one, if so then run through this:

1.Boot from the XP disc and select "R" when you see the option to go into the Recovery Console.

2.Select the windows installation system you want to repair and hit Enter. You will then be asked for the administrator password. You will then reach the command prompt, type the following and then press Enter.

fixmbr

3.The fixmbr utility will write a master boot record to the hard drive that you're currently using to boot into Windows XP. This will repair any corruption or damage that the master boot record may have.

4.Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a corrupt master boot record was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

#12 Pupil of PC

Pupil of PC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

My disk is a HP recovery tools disk. The option I get gives me a warning that says " all files, including data files, on the user parition will be lost, and the original facroty shipped files will be recovered tot he user partition.

I don'[t think this is what we want???????????

#13 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

That disc will be no good, you need a genuine XP disc which will allow you to boot to the Recovery Console.

I have just requested permission from a moderator to use a link I have that will create an XP Recovery Console disc. As soon as I get the all clear I will post it.

You could also try to get to the Recovery Console by using F8 and selecting Command Prompt but that may also result in a BSOD, try it and see, then just follow the remaining instructions.

Meanwhile, can you borrow an XP disc?

Edited by mark1956, 08 February 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

RE: STOP 0x24

Please try the following ...

:step1: On a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    • ( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
:step2: On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh good, AustrAlien has just posted the link I was requesting permission to use and instructions for what I was going to suggest next if fixmbr did not work :thumbup2: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users