Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Store

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to start an online store. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems there are so many different options! I am unsure whether to host it myself (either CMS or write it myself) and then intergrate with a payment gateway/frieght companys to calculate shipping costs or there are heaps of sites where you can host through them and use what seems to be their own CMS.

Anyone have any experience with this/any idea of where to start? At the moment i am leaning more towards hosting it myself as then i will have full control over the code (can tweak as much as i want).

I have been playing around with a lot of the e-store plugins avaliable for wordpress but don't really like any of them.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Host it somewhere else. In the instance that there is a data breach, you are not liable. Unless you happen to have a solid background in secure design, are familiar with the various vulnerabilities related to your operating system, and are prepared to document all of the measures you have taken to prove in court of law that you have taken due diligence in protecting your customers and their data. Failing that, you would be financially liable for any damages or losses due to failure to adequately prepare.

There is a reason that online companies employ legal teams, and failing that, they do everything possible to limit their liability.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Didn't even think of that! So if i'm hosting it elsewhere, any recommendations of what to use (CMS?)/where to host?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

You will definitely want to host it somewhere else, what happens when your power goes out? Cable internet goes out? Oops, website no longer online :)

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on hardware to protect all my customers including firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, etc etc.

There is a lot that goes into hosting a website that most people do not understand, and that's why you need to find a managed host. They will provide you support whenever you have problems, and will handle making sure you website is online 99-100% of the time, even protecting your site from malicious users who could try and hack into it and obtain all your customer information. There's a lot that goes into security and you will just need to ask yourself whether or not it's worth the $5 a month to let someone else handle it...that's how much you probably waste in one day at McDonalds.

What kind of store are you trying to start? There's a lot of scripts that can do this but you probably need to make sure there isn't something already out there specifically for what you're trying to do.
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I ended up going with a Volusion Online Store as it suited all of my needs.

#6 timnoeat

timnoeat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

you should host it yourself as it is much more convenient. Try Zen Cart if you are interested in an open source shopping cart. It is a great php base cms.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

you should host it yourself as it is much more convenient

Ok, then based on all of your experience, please explain the requirements for creating an adequate security and risk analysis plan, as well as going about creating a liability firewall so that in the instance of a data breach, KamakaZ does not lose everything?

#8 Smith warnes

Smith warnes

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

For Creating a good Online Store Go with Magento CMS it the Best one for Shopping carts and has great powerful features.

#9 some1special

some1special

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

For Creating a good Online Store Go with Magento CMS it the Best one for Shopping carts and has great powerful features.

I agree...Magento is a good online e-commerce solution. It's flexible and versatile, and i'm sure it will suit most of your needs. Also there are alot of plugins to choose from

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users