Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed on Fast Ethernet Switch?.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi, I have a Windows 7 operated desktop PC connected to the internet via a cable modem from my ISP Virgin Media. The modem has one Ethernet socket. Until now this has been all that I needed. A few weeks back I bought a new 3D ready Plasma TV with among other things an ethernet port for connecting to the internet. I had a mercury KOB SDH8P 8 port10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch in my tool box and some Cat 5E patch cable I had last used when my son lived at home when we ran two PC's off my broadband modem using this set up. After wiring it all together I found that I cannot get an internet connection to the TV and PC at the same time. I can get Internet to the PC when wired to the switch but not to the TV. When I try to connect the tv to the network it finds the LAN but cannot find an IP address. I got a pop up stating that "Windows has detected an IP address conflict, another computer on this network has the same address as this computer. Contact your network admin for help".

At first I thought it was my Comodo CIS firewall blocking but I get the same even when I switch it off. To be sure that it was not the TV ethernet cable I ran it directly from the Virgin cable modem to the tv and was instantly connected to the internet where I was able to download and install a software update and check out that features like YouTube,facebook etc were working ok etc. All well and good but as soon as I re-connected to the switch I can only get internet on the PC. I phoned the Virgin helpline and after explaining my problem to the tech he said that the problem was that the switch should be giving a different IP address to each channel but for some reason it didn't appear to be doing this. He helped me check that my local area connection was set up properly which it was and said that Virgin coudn't really help with it. He said I would probably need a new switch with IP setting ability and that I could buy one of their routers for £75 or upgrade my broadband connection and get it free but I declined this solution at least until I find out what my options are hence this post. Are there any work rounds for this problem and if not what would be my most cost effective solution. Should I buy a new switch router,or hub and what type should I be looking for.

Edited by bluesjunior, 07 February 2012 - 05:32 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi

You need to get a router. That way you can share the single internet connection with both the TV and the computer.
You might want one with wireless capability also, they are not very expensive and that way you can eliminate wires and add new devices like smartphones and laptops in the future.

James

Edit: I understand how you can get two computers on the switch but the TV is a different situation. Any home router should be fine as long as it's a major brand name (they have support and simple instructions). Shouldn't be more than $50(US).

Edited by NeverSayDie, 07 February 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hi

You need to get a router. That way you can share the single internet connection with both the TV and the computer.
You might want one with wireless capability also, they are not very expensive and that way you can eliminate wires and add new devices like smartphones and laptops in the future.

James

Edit: I understand how you can get two computers on the switch but the TV is a different situation. Any home router should be fine as long as it's a major brand name (they have support and simple instructions). Shouldn't be more than $50(US).

Thanks for the reply NeverSayDie, I was coming to that conclusion myself. I have been looking at the one in the link as a possible http://www.scan.co.uk/products/buffalo-airstation-nfiniti-whr-g300nv2-eu-high-power-11n-300mbps-broadband-dsl-(cable)-router-ap-wit. Firstly it is made for a cable/DSL system like Virgin and secondly I have a Buffalo external hard drive which is rock solid. All the routers I see are advertised as wireless, but are they also capable of a wired connection which I prefer or do I also have to buy a bunch of USB radio links for my apparatus?. Excuse my ignorance but I came to computers late in life.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

Virgin Media in the UK ?

Ring them up and they should send you out a Superhub, 4 wired ethernet ports and built in wireless.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

Virgin Media in the UK ?

Ring them up and they should send you out a Superhub, 4 wired ethernet ports and built in wireless.

Yes they will for 75 or upgrade my broadband for 8p/m and get one free.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

All wireless routers I have seen...also accommodate ethernet.

If you look at the specs for the router (before buying), it will indicate all connective capabilities.

No need to pay more than you have to for a router.

Examples: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614UK-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B0000C1WO2 AND http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=38&Sort=3

Louis

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

All wireless routers I have seen...also accommodate ethernet.

If you look at the specs for the router (before buying), it will indicate all connective capabilities.

No need to pay more than you have to for a router.

Examples: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614UK-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B0000C1WO2 AND http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=38&Sort=3

Louis

Thanks for the reply Hamluis, I have decided on the one in the link. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/buffalo-airstation-nfiniti-whr-g300nv2-eu-high-power-11n-300mbps-broadband-dsl-(cable)-router-ap-wit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users