Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Chrome

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terry White

Terry White

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Had a few problems with Chrome so I uninstalled. Tried to install a new version and got 'missing file error' which was my fault not losding the browser cache. I could not get rid of this at all.Tried an install over it and a restore to earlier date. Nothing worked.I searched all the forums for a couple of days to try for an easy method. Somehow without knowingly doing anything Chrome reported it was uninstalled. So I want to try a new install
now the old one has gone.On a system Search I found 24 items listing Chrome such as. A CHROME.EXE setup and 5 CHROME.EXE Files in Prefetch.
plus 5 files startingAswWebRepchrome crx plus 13 more various. Now do I delete all or some of these before I try another install.I could not find how to copy and paste these.
Some help neede please I have spent 2 days searching.....Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

This guide gives instructions on how to fully remove Google Chrome including all the registry keys. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899

Once done you should have no problem re-installing.

#3 Terry White

Terry White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Mark, but I need things simpler than that. I got as far as the download on my desktop, I double clicked which just listed the registry files.
I could go no further as there was no 'yes' to OK. I tried it a few times but that was it, so I came out and deleted.I am not keen on messing with the registry anyway, I know nothing !

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

You might try Revo Uninstaller.

Here is how to use Revo Uninstaller:

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it, go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help. The use of this program makes registry changes based upon what you select for removal from the Registry. Before running Revo Uninstaller please run ERUNT before proceeding to back up your registry in case you make a mistake.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs and click the Uninstall button:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Click Next. This will start the uninstaller for the application you picked. When the uninstaller is done, and it proves to be successful, and a reboot is required, then select NO and continue the below steps.

5) Follow the prompts during the uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Click Next again. Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will want to select only the bolded items, then click on Delete. If any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Once done, click Next.

If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to the warnings.

Louis

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Mark, but I need things simpler than that. I got as far as the download on my desktop, I double clicked which just listed the registry files.
I could go no further as there was no 'yes' to OK. I tried it a few times but that was it, so I came out and deleted.I am not keen on messing with the registry anyway, I know nothing !

As long as you create a Restore Point before touching the registry you will be fine as you can always use System Restore to go back before the alterations.

I think what you may have done wrong is this part:

2.Right-click this link. (When you right click, select "Save Target as")
3.Click Save Link as and save the file name as remove.reg. (Select "All files" as your file type.)

When you save the link you must add the .reg extension onto the name.

Edited by mark1956, 08 February 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#6 Terry White

Terry White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Louis for your careful explanation, but I cant follow because of 2 points. If I use Revo, not a single item is visible to start it off. Technically Chrome said it had uninstalled (after 2 days). The second problem is when I am given what to take out. I would have no idea. Apart from the CHROME-EXE etc etc mentioned above, there are for instance 3 files headed Chrome and they list separately Alwil software...Avast software and Mozilla Firefox. ??? The 23 items I can only see by, start-search-Chrome, in files and folders and that's what the little dog comes up with. If I could cut, paste and attach this, then I could be advised what I could delete manually before trying a new Chrome install. Thanks again

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Well...you can remove files all day & night...but if you don't remove the registry entries, they are likely to be your trouble point, not the files, IMO.

Perhaps you'd better look at the tutorial previously supplied by Mark...or abandon the idea of fooling around with this. Chrome is not the only browser in the universe.

Louis

#8 Terry White

Terry White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi, thanks for all the advice, after a couple of days thought, I decided on the suggestion to use Revo, which I did and I won't dabble with Chrome again. I like an alternative so I will try Opera to go with my Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users