Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot to specific Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CyberSchoolTeacher

CyberSchoolTeacher

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Is there a way to make a computer only boot to a specific hard drive? For instance; can I do something to make my computer boot to my hard drive by serial number? This way someone cannot come along and unplug my hard drive and attach their own. I am only asking the possibilities. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

AFAIK depending on Desktop you'll need to lock the case shut or laptop you can set a password that will keep anybody from entering the Bios settings and another one that will keep it from booting until the password is entered. that would keep them from booting an external drive too.

Other than that I know of no way to tell it to only boot a specific hard drive.

Desktop case has to be locked to prevent someone clearing the bios to remove the password.

A Lenovo Thinkpad can be locked down tight and usually there is no way to reset the password on them unless you ship it back to Lenovo with proof of ownership. most models, there may be exceptions of course. They are business models.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users