Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Dangerous is ComboFix, really?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnRobert

JohnRobert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

I have used ComboFix for years. It has saved me countless times.

The first time I used ComboFix, my system was so fouled up that ComboFix actually froze up in the repair process. After rebooting and restarting, ComboFix traveled further down the "repair list of numbers". After three reboots it completed its work and my system ran fine after that. I once loaded ComboFix from safe mode and where I only had about 1 second of life before the PC froze again. But once ComboFix started, it took control and resolved my problems. I now run ComboFix about 3 - 4 times a year on average, whenever things get sort of "slow" and questionable.

Call me lucky, but I have not had a virus protection program in over 10 years. I find more conflicts in my daily life with those programs than the good they provide. I use my computer daily & heavily. But I watch where I go and I never "click" while drinking! haha If I ever have a problem with my PC, I run ComboFix.

NOW ..... after admiring ComboFix and admitting to my risky behavior, I reach my discussion point.

ComboFix was "removed" from my computer last week. I clicked on my desktop link and a message popped up that 'use privileges had expired? or my version has expired? or something... the message stayed on the screen for a half second and then went away. The link is gone & I can't find any reference to ComboFix on my PC at all. I am running Windows XP.

I came to Bleeping Computer to download another link for ComboFix and I am overwhelmed with notices of "Risks" associated with using ComboFix and disclaimers, etc. I have never used a "coach/tutor/guide" in the past, but I guess now, I am a bit gun-shy. ..... So tell me ... what are the REAL Risks of using ComboFix and why should I be cautious of using it again without a "coach/tutor/guide".

Again..........thank you BleepingComputer for all of my past "saves"... I look forward to learning more on this subject.

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2012 - 06:48 AM.
Moved from Announcements, etc. to AV, Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Since this appears to be your first post here...I suggest that you read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html .

Louis

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

For the most part ComboFix is not dangerous to use. Just like any programs, including commercial anti-virus programs, there is always a risk that something may be erroneously changed on your computer. These issues are able to be quickly resolved by those trained in its usage, but for those who arent, there is a good chance you will be left with an unusable computer. That is why we state that you should not use it unless asked to by a trained helper.

#4 JohnRobert

JohnRobert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for your replies. .... I suppose the hesitation to follow the "recommended path" has always been 'time' and a limited understanding of computer language....The communication I have read between a "Coach" and a user is as scary as the spyware itself! LOL

I will however, take your recommendations to heart. This is an old computer and I keep my content regularly backed up on an external hard drive.... but it is well noted that there is no reason to visit Best Buy to purchase a new computer unless absolutely unnecessary .... so I will follow your advice.

You may consider this issue resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users