Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joshmurray

joshmurray

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

I have a desktop running Windows XP SP3 and it has been crashing lately. It has a 1.80GHZ Processor and 1GB of RAM.

It will lock up and dump memory. I have included a link to the minidump file to this thread, Also I tried to read it in a debugger but apparently do not have needed symbols.

Thanks for the help.

Please do not post messages saying try this or try that. I appreciate your efforts but I would rather have someone pinpoint this problem by reading the mindump rather than advising to update all ram, run memtest, chkdsk, etc...

Minidump:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B14efoJY1YvNOGJhZTgzMjYtYzQ1ZS00NTc5LTgwOGUtZjY0ZDU5OWY3MjFl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Please carry out the following steps and I will have a look at the information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

:step1: Download the following 2 files and save both to the My Documents folder:

:step2: Go to the My Documents folder and run #1 (BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD_.exe). (That will also run #2.)

It will take a little time to complete: Please be patient and wait for it to finish.
A new folder named TSF_XP_Support will be created in My Documents.

:step3: Zip up the newly created TSF_XP_Support folder.
  • Right-click on the TSF_XP_Support folder > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
  • The newly created zip file will be located in the My Documents folder.

:step4: Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.

:step5: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Interesting minidump! I'd like to have a look at some more. WinDbg txt is attached for your interest.

Attached Files

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 joshmurray

joshmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Sorry for the trouble. I am going to do a format

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I am going to do a format

I do not think that will help you at all. Based on the info from the only minidump that you have provided, it would seem likely that one (if not both) RAM sticks are likely to be faulty.

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE

this is what's called a "stride" pattern of memory corruption. It means a contiguous region of memory physically went kaput.

It would have been wise to check more minidumps before jumping to any conclusion ... but based on what I have so far, I suggest that you test the RAM (memory) instead of re-installing a Windows operating system.

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY
Loading Dump File [C:\CactusIsland\joshmurray_BC\Mini020412-03.dmp]
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629
Debug session time: Sun Feb 5 14:56:09.765 2012 (UTC + 11:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:24:50.312
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E
PROCESS_NAME: iexplore.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE
Bugcheck code 1000008E
Arguments 80000003 806f1cd7 f0052cd8 00000000
BiosVersion = 3.05
BiosReleaseDate = 03/01/2002
SystemManufacturer = HP Pavilion 04
SystemProductName = P7477A-ABA 751n
SystemVersion = 70000RE101MISSO
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK Computer INC.
BaseBoardProduct = P4S-LA
BaseBoardVersion = REV 1.xx
CPUID: " Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz"
MaxSpeed: 1800
CurrentSpeed: 1800

Test the memory (RAM).

Memory needs to be tested outside of Windows, so memtest86+ is run from a bootable CD.

:step1: To make a bootable CD with memtest86+:
  • Extract the downloaded zip file:
    • In Windows XP, right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all.
      The contents of the zip file (the .ISO image file) will be extracted to a folder in the same location as your zip file.
  • Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
    • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
  • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step2: Boot from the newly created CD.
  • You may need to configure BIOS or the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • memtest86+ will begin running automatically: You need do nothing else at this time.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run un-interrupted.
See the screenshots in this informative link: Diagnose with Memtest86+

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever:
  • If you see an error, stop the test.
  • Then proceed to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.
A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
memtest86+ will continue running until you stop it:
  • Press the <ESCAPE> key to re-boot the computer, removing the memtest86+ CD.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 joshmurray

joshmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Wow! thanks so much. I believe you are correct. What is weird though is.
I booted to a Windows Memory Diagnostics CD and ran 7X7 standard test passes and then (1) 11 pass extended test. No errors detected.

Also, I have Windows Debugger installed with XP Symbols linked to it. Why do I not get the same messages as you when I open the minidump?

More Dumps
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B14efoJY1YvNNjhjOTRjMjItNGIwNC00Y2RjLWI4NTgtYTRkMGFhOWUxYTlk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B14efoJY1YvNY2YwNjYwOGQtZWU3MC00MzhkLWFlOTUtZGRhYmI1OGEyY2Vi
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B14efoJY1YvNMjBmZDkyN2UtMDQ3Ni00NTIxLThiMjMtMTc0ZTc4NTdlNjVk

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

I have Windows Debugger installed with XP Symbols linked to it. Why do I not get the same messages as you when I open the minidump?

We could look into that if you are interested. Let me know if you wish to do that. One thing to check ... you need to have the following:

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Let me know how you get on with the memtest86+ test over 24 hours if necessary ... unless you see an error before that.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 joshmurray

joshmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I know that you advised me to run memtest, to which I agree is needed to solidify the issue is related to faulty RAM. However I happen to have some brand new DIMM"S that are compatible. I will replace the modules today and considering the system crashes frequently I should know by tomorrow whether or not this is a solution.

I am still very interested in working with you on learning to read minidumps. Please let know.

thanks for your help

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Let me know how things are going with your system.

Re: working with crash dumps

In recent years, jcgriff2 got the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forum started at Tech Support Forum and it has become BSOD "headquarters" for Vista and Windows 7 systems. (BSODs on XP systems are usually handled in the XP forum area.)

Here are a couple of tutorials on getting started with WinDbg:

How to Analyse Bugcheck and Process Crash Dumps
Helping others work through their BSoD and general application crash issues ... published by H2SO4
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/221510-crash-dumps-analyse-bugcheck-process.html

HOW TO: Debug Memory Dumps (Figure out what is causing a BSOD) ... by Adrynalyne
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1418737
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 joshmurray

joshmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

No more problems my friend. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate the time you took to read the minidump and all of the information you provided.

Take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users