Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

typing teacher suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

So its been many years since I've used a typing teacher, and I'd like to get a program for the computer beginners who come into my library. I remember using Mavis Beacon, but my familiarity does not extend to how it works in a multiple user situation (I may be spending some time on the phone with sales to figure out stuff regardless).

Ideally I'm looking for a program that is licensed to be installed on multiple public machines. Does anyone have any suggestions along these lines?

Edited by joggiwagga, 06 February 2012 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Looks like "Rapid Typing" can be installed on multiple machines for free. It has been installed on this machine for better than a year now, no problems.

-No usage limitation.

-We don't ask you for your mail or registration.

-No nag-screens.

-No spyware/adware in the software.

And of course you don't have to pay to get the software and share it with friends.

http://rapidtyping.com/features/free-typing-tutorial.html

How about an on-line tutor/test? http://www.typingtest.com/

Edit:
One more, forgot I have this one installed too, with no problems.

"TypeFaster Typing Tutor": http://sourceforge.net/projects/typefaster/
More about TypeFaster here: http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/

Edited by FlannelBack, 06 February 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#3 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I'll take a look at those. Also the reason I was looking at specifically a program is some of the target machines may not have an internet connection. Thank you.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Sorry about the on-line suggestion, wasn't thinking.

Here is one more to look at: Kiran's Typing Tutor.

This one has good instructional value but the UI has a rather annoying sound when ever you roll the mouse cursor over an object or select an option. The sound can be turned off on a per user basis. It's free for personal use but I believe a site license is required for use on multiple machines.

I probably should have mentioned this one first as it may well be the best of the three, but I find the sound effects so obnoxious that I tend to just cross this program out of my mind.

My wife needed to improve her typing skills to qualify for a particular job and this typing tutor is the one that helped her do it. In a few weeks she more than tripled her speed with improved accuracy, which in turn allowed her to obtain that job. Her solution to the sound was to simply turn the speakers off.

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

The sound is usually turned off on our PCs so that does bear looking into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users