Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you clone windows off hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hello everyone, I am requesting help getting windows off my C: drive on my 80g Seagate Barracuda HD to install to a new Hitachi Deskstar 400g. It's an old HP computer running XP Pro. I did not get a disc when I bought it, all the windows files are in Cab files. I tried to copy the i386 files but couldn't find any startup files to extract the cab files. I don't want to clone the entire current 80g drive as I want to partition windows and some critical files into a new partition on the new drive. I partitioned off 1g for that purpose. Is that enough for windows files and allow enough for updates? That way I can keep my documents and photos, music etc separated from windows. I think it will be easier to backup that way.
I installed Macrium Reflect but from what I read on the site, you can't pick out specific files, you have to clone the entire drive. If I created a drive image backup for windows on DVD, then restored that to the new drive would windows work off that? The reason I don't want to clone the entire drive is that there are several programs I don't want on the new drive. When I try to delete them, it says "access denied, another program is using this file. close the file and try again." Nothing shows up when I call up what is running at the moment. It is hidden somewhere and I can't find it.If it won't let me delete it now, I probably won't be able to delete it off the new drive if I clone the entire drive.
What's the best way of getting my essential windows cab files out to put on the new drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

IMO...the easiest thing to do...is clone the entire drive.

After that is done and you can boot into Windows...then you can create any other partitions you may want...reduce the size of the Windows partition...whatever, using a program like Easeus Partition Master.

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

When I try to delete them, it says "access denied, another program is using this file. close the file and try again.

you don't delete program you go to start /control panel ,add and remove programs and pick the ones you want to uninstall .
and no 1 gig would not be enough to install windows
I would borrow a windows xp pro cd from a friend [maybe ] back up personal files , and then do a nice new fresh install if it were mine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thank you HamLuis.
And also to Caperjac. The problem is it's not listed in the add/remove programs list. Some of the files are in the computer's temp files. There are three that will not let me delete. I don't know why it says "access denied" because there is nothing on the task bar that is running when I am trying to delete it. Can't find it in the browse menu in my shredder program either.

That's why I don't want to copy all this garbage over to the new drive. Since I posted, I bought a Windows XP PRO disk with COA. I received it today but I am wondering.....the label says it is Windows XP Pro English Student Media CD/with SP2. What's the difference between a student version and a regular OEM version? Do you think I should install it on the new 400g drive and designate it as C: drive and just leave the old OEM version on my current c: drive there undisturbed as the d: drive? I plan on keeping the 80g drive in the computer just for extra storage space. I would definitely like to know what the difference is between the Student and OEM versions are before I do that though.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

to the best of my knowledge the only difference is the discounted student price ,if it were mine i would install it on the 400gig drive ,fresh and new installs are always a treat for the first few weeks/months, also i would download SP3 for it and install it before installing any othere software or drivers and even before going on the net ,just for best security .
sp3 download link , http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24 don't let the it professionals and developers bother you it for all to use safely ,
,put it on a usb thumbdrive maybe to do the install after you load winxp sp2

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.
Typo.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users