Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just disable Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

After checking in this forum and the XP forum, I am aware of "Uninstall Windows Components", but I wish I could just disable Outlook Express. Uninstalling it is not really what I want. This program is sometimes a nuisance and is still confusing. I rely on webmail directly and so I never use Outlook Express anymore. Once in a while, I click on a hyperlink, and find that (because I did not check the link carefully) it was an email link, and Outlook Express v 6 opens and I must wait until it finishes opening before I can close it to get back to business.

Can OE simply be disabled and left as installed on the machine, or must it be REMOVED by unchecking in Windows Components? If REMOVING is done, is it then really removed, or is it actually disabled but still present?

Also, is it possible to make this Outlook Express to NOT be the default email client?

(Eventually I want to try to learn to use Thunderbird, and study this using new email webmail accounts).

System:
Windows XP s.p. 3, Internet Explorer 8, Outlook Express Version 6
Laptop computer is 9 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

It is functioning as designed due to the fact that mailto: is a way to brng up the default email client. As such you cannot tell it to use webmail by default.

What web mail service do you use?

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

It is functioning as designed due to the fact that mailto: is a way to brng up the default email client. As such you cannot tell it to use webmail by default.

What web mail service do you use?

The goal is just to keep Outlook Express out of the way or disable it.

My webmails are AT&T, Yahoo, and AOL. The Outlook Express was set-up to use one of the AT&T-Yahoo accounts.

I avoid the O.E. through use of browser tabs and composing emails in a separate tab, copy & paste, and if necessary, retyping email addresses. This is not really a problem; it gets the job of emailing done, avoids O.E. getting involved, but is a little less efficient.

A basic problem I have is not understanding O.E. too well, now getting some message from it at times which I do not understand, and wishing to not let O.E. interfere with messages in my email account. I want the messages to be kept in the webmail account. I have good control of what I do through the various webmails. Outlook just complicates things. If I open O.E., it might do something to the account that I do not want it to and i am not clear on how to prevent anything. (That's why I might try one or two NEW email webmail accounts and try to learn to use Thunderbird, so as not to disturb my more important email accounts).

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

In OE there is an option to keep messages on the server see the following: http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/messages_left_on_server.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users