Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Machine can't complete SP install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye53

Hawkeye53

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Back in October my wife's machine had a malware infecion (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423457.html). After much work by Gringo and me, the machine was declared clean. However, even at that time the Service Pack install would not complete. It would churn and try to install and reboot and certainly act like all was well and completing, but eventually it would say something like "Service Pack failed. Resorting to previous cnfiguration". With the holidays approaching, solving this issue was pushed to the back burner. Now that I have some time, I'd like to get the machine fully updated. Any suggestions on next steps would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well, I guess it's possible the malware left some residual problems - it happens. But here's something you can try. Download the standalone Service pack install from MS (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842). When you are ready to install it close all programs and disable your Anti Virus App. Then RIGHT-CLICK on the installer and choose "run as administrator" and see if that works for you.

#3 Hawkeye53

Hawkeye53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hey Allan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if your close at hand for a reply, but I do have a question. The download you suggested came down as an ISO. Do I want to burn it to a DVD and then restart from the DVD or is there a way to run the ISO as downloaded?

Hawkeye53

NEVER MIND - Got it unpacked and the install is going now. We'll see if it works.

Well, back to the familiar Failure Configuring Service Pack. Reverting changes. Other updates seems to install fine, just SP1. I guess this machine is going to have to live with out a Service Pack until Windows 8 comes out and I decide to try that.

Edited by Hawkeye53, 11 February 2012 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users