Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I Got Sound Connected In Wrong Place?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

For some time now I have had no sound. I think I might have plugged the sound connector into the wrong hole. On the back of my Dell Dimension #2350 PC are 3 holes (one pink, one light blue and one real dark blue). I currently have it plugged into the pink hole & was wondering if I should try one of the other two.

Have I got it connected in the right hole now or would I hurt anything by moving it to one of the other two holes?

I am a beginner and would really appreciate any suggestions and/or help as I really miss the sound, especially on e-mail cards I receive.
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

It would not hurt the computer or your speakers to plug it into the other holes.

Make sure your speakers are plugged into the wall (if they are that type of speaker), make sure they are turned on! And turned up! Put in some music, play it, and then plug the speakers into the different ports and see if they work.

If they still don't, let us know and one of us can walk you through it!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:56 AM

Older computers did not have good color coding. There should be some kind of symbol next to the holes - look for one that looks like a speaker. In addition, some Dell computers (IIRC) have a separate sound card and you must plug into that hole instead of the one on the motherboard.

#4 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

AlbertFrankenstein .....First of all I should mention that I USED to have sound so I know it must be some dumb thing I did. The 2 speakers are plugged in and turned up. I am not into music so I can't test it with that. The only reason I want my sound back again is so I can hear different things on e-mails that my friends send me and for no other reason. The next time someone sends me something with sound in it I will try your suggestion of pluging it into one of the other holes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Herk.....My PC is only 2 and 1/2 years old. Next to the Pink hole that I am now in is a symbol of a Microphone.

The Lite Blue Hole next to it has 2 symbols that look like different sizes of the letter C. It looks like this: ((( ))). The ))) on the right has an arrow through it pointing to the RIGHT.

The Dark Blue Hole next to it has 2 symbols that also look like the letter C. It also looks like this: ((( ))). The ((( on the left has an arrow through it pointing to the LEFT.
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

Well, the microphone jack is definitely the wrong one.

Try either one of the others or both.

Look at your owner's manual and it will show you the correct output to plug it into.

According to Dell Support, the owner's manual is on your hard drive.

USe Window's Explorer to find it if it isn't on the programs menu.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 February 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#6 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:28 AM

Before I got on my PC just now I pulled out the sound wire from the Pink Microphone Hole and plugged it into the the Lite Blue Hole.

I'VE GOT MY SOUND BACK!!!!!

Somehow I must have plugged the sound wire into the wrong hole sometime back.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users