Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnee

Johnee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

emachines e4216 desktop, 3 Ghz Pentium Dual core, 2 Gb RAM, Windoze 7.

I have been using my desktop for six months with an internal 500 Gb IDE HDD as a storage drive with no problems, without jumpers. I recently wanted to run XP Pro from a partition on the main (OS) HDD (ATA), I've done this before, but this time when I re-booted after installing XP, the original O/S (W7) would not boot up, and I found that the PC was trying to boot from the 500 Gb storage dv.
I ended up removing it and all was working OK, I re-connected it and it tried to boot from it again, I tried to select my main drive as boot dv in the boot settings which works, but then the next time it tries to boot from the storage dv again - I saved the settings but still defaults to the storage dv. I tried without jumpers and also as slave, CS, as 15 head and 16 head as I can't find out which mine is.
I deleted the partition and formatted the main dv, re-installed W7 and got it all working again, tried to connect the storage drive again - i.e. as it was before, and it tried again to boot from the storage dv.
I think the main prob is that when I tell it to boot from the main drive it isn't saving the setting, even though I tell it to.
Any ideas anyone?

- Its a Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 storage drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Are you going into the BIOS and saving the settings ?
Are the settings the same when you go into the BIOS next ?

#3 Johnee

Johnee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

Are you going into the BIOS and saving the settings ?
Are the settings the same when you go into the BIOS next ?

No, thats the problem - it still defaults to the 500 Gb dv - it won't save the settings.

#4 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

Are you trying to save the settings ? f10 i think it will be, or are you just exiting the BIOS, if the latter it won't save.

Try a new battery if you are saving and the settings aren't being saved.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp. ignore the part about writing settings down...after battery is installed, go to BIOS, elect default settings, hit F10 to save.

Louis

EDIT: New link at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81 .

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#6 Johnee

Johnee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp. ignore the part about writing settings down...after battery is installed, go to BIOS, elect default settings, hit F10 to save.

Louis

Link dead... "The resource cannot be found"
The battery was changed around 4 months ago, I did F10 on exit.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

You could try clearing the CMOS to see if it allows you to save the BIOS settings.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 Johnee

Johnee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

You could try clearing the CMOS to see if it allows you to save the BIOS settings.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

I did that, and I replaced the battery again, - still the same, what I don't get is why it was OK before I re-installed the O/S. Also, when I try to change the boot drive order or reset to default, the values don't change - that is, I manually select the main drive but the storage drive still shows at the top of the list of drives, but it does boot from the main drive - even when I click restart, Its only when I turn of via the power button that it wants to boot from the storage dv. I can remove the storage dv, but I do need it.

#9 Johnee

Johnee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

I think... using my vast technical knowledge and abilities I may have sorted it! I set the jumpers to Cable select, It worked but I lost my CD/DVD drive (same connector), Then found I was able to save the cmos settings and remove the jumpers (the way it originally was)(?)... another mystery - but I won't lose sleep over it - as long as its working now.
Thanks everyone for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users