Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed, Gateway Netbook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mchilton

mchilton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hello all,
I purchased a Gateway LT3103u netbook a couple years ago, now it will not turn on. I used the computer as our house computer for playing music and stuff like that with all my roommates in college, so I have no idea what could have caused it to stop working. I know it had limewire and other virus-risky programs on it. Basically I wanted to know if there is any way I can fix it or wipe it completely clean, there is nothing on it I am interested in saving. It came with Windows Vista installed on it. The following is what happens when I try to turn it on:

Sorry I know its like a novel and half of it is probably irrelevant but I wanted yall to have everything

-1- Startup Screen, gateway logo displayed
at bottom it says press F2 to enter setup, or press F12 to enter multiboot selection menu
If I dont press either, skip to "-6-"

-2- If I press F2, it brings up a light blue, dark blue, and grey screen that says PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility
has options for Information, Main, Security, Boot, and Exit

-3- If I press F12, it comes up with a gray and blue "Boot Menu" with options:
5. IDE 0: TOSHIBA MK2555GSX-(S1)
7. PCI LAN: Realtek Boot Agent

-4- If I press option 5, goes straight to -6-

-5- If I press option 7, it brings up a black and grey screen that says:
" " " " "
Intel UNDI, PXE -2.1 (Build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: blah blah blah

Realtek PCI express fast ethernet controller series v1.15b (090312)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing PFE ROM
" " " " "
it runs through this message 4 or 5 times then says "Operating System not found"
When I hit enter it restarts at -1-

-6- Following screen:
" " " " "
Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardwar or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assitance.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit
" " " " "
When I click Enter or Escape it restarts from step -1-

Thats pretty much it, is there anything I can do?
It's a netbook so there is no disk drive or anything. I dont care if I have to wipe windows off of it and install linux or something free, I just want it to be operational, my laptop is huge and I hate lugging it around everywhere.
I would seriously appreciate any help whatsoever.

Edited by mchilton, 06 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hello mchilton,

Did you make the recovery discs when the computer was functioning? If not, it may be possible to restore the computer to factory specifications using the hidden partition on the hard drive.

This is the user's manual for the Gateway netbook LT-31 series: http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/gateway/GTW_SJV01_User_Guide_Eng.pdf. Arrow down to page 24 and follow instructions for "Enable disk-to-disk recovery." Looks like you press F2 to enter setup. It would be worth trying in my opinion.

If that fails, installing a linux distro via USB shouldn't be that hard. Let me know how you make out.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users