Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot Cycle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vanessa6

Vanessa6

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this..this morning I restarted my computer and now it will not stop
restarting. I tried loading in safe mode, last known good configuration etc...all the options on the
advanced boot options and it still won't work. Finally I choose "disable automatic restart on system
failure" and I got a blue screen with the following error:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)The system has been shutdown.

I haven't installed anything recently so I'm not sure how this happened but is there anything I can do to resolve it?

Thank you in advance,

~V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

You can try a repair installation - let's give it a shot anyway.

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#3 Vanessa6

Vanessa6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

I can't boot to the cd because for some reason bios is asking for a password now...it wasn't earlier. I've tried the f keys and nothing is allowing
me to change the boot order. I have an acer aspire 3100.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hi,

I can't boot to the cd because for some reason bios is asking for a password now...it wasn't earlier. I've tried the f keys and nothing is allowing
me to change the boot order. I have an acer aspire 3100.

If pressing F12 when you first power on the computer doesn't get you a 'Boot Menu' that allows you to boot from the CD, try hitting esc (the escape key). As soon as you turn on the computer, if you get an Acer logo screen, that is when you hit esc.

Hope this helps
James

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2299-Guide-to-remove-BIOS-password-of-Acer-computer-%28Both-Laptop-amp-Desktop%29

#6 Vanessa6

Vanessa6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Ok I was able to access the BIOS menu but even when I switch it to boot from USB/CD-ROM
it will not boot up the cd. All it does it keep trying to restart?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Then you're not booting to the cd. Either the cd isn't bootable, it isn't the first device in the boot order, or the disc or cd drive is bad.

#8 Vanessa6

Vanessa6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

ok, not sure what it could be. I've placed it in the 1st position in the boot order.
I've tried two different cd's and it still won't work. So I'm guessing maybe
the cd drive is bad? I tested the disc on a working computer and it is bootable.
The only option for a cd-rom I see in the boot menu is a usb/cdrom option, does this matter at all?

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I've tried two different cd's and it still won't work. So I'm guessing maybe the cd drive is bad?

Are you using Genuine M/soft CDs and are they the same as your 'original' version of XP ??
Check the CDs under a light for scratches or other defects -

Regards -

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

ok, not sure what it could be. I've placed it in the 1st position in the boot order.
I've tried two different cd's and it still won't work. So I'm guessing maybe
the cd drive is bad? I tested the disc on a working computer and it is bootable.
The only option for a cd-rom I see in the boot menu is a usb/cdrom option, does this matter at all?

Could indeed be a bad cd drive. If the system boots to the cd you can not get the error message you are getting. One other outside reason for not being able to boot to the cd drive is that the cmos battery may need to be replaced (http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5008224_replacing-cmos-battery-acer-aspire.html)

Edited by Allan, 06 February 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#11 Vanessa6

Vanessa6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've tried two different cd's and it still won't work. So I'm guessing maybe the cd drive is bad?

Are you using Genuine M/soft CDs and are they the same as your 'original' version of XP ??
Check the CDs under a light for scratches or other defects -

Regards -

The cd's are brand new so they have no scratches, I've used them on a working computer and they do
boot up so I'm guessing its just my disk drive..or something else that I'm not experienced enough to know.

Most of my boot up options have a USB in front of them and I'm wondering if that plays a part in my
computer not recognizing my cd-rom?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yes, it would. I'm assuming it's an internal cd drive - check for an optical drive in the boot device order that does NOT have usb in front of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users