Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Control

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has run into this. You unhook all the cables from the tower so you can take it away and work on it. When you put the tower back, at least one of the cables has fallen behind the desk and you just about have to stand on your head to find it in the mess of wiring back there. I happened across this yesterday while looking for something else, and thought it was a good idea. I'm going to pick some of those clamps later and see how they work for me.

Here 'tis - - -

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Very nice Keith!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

That dog'll hunt!!

One of my longest-running pet peeves with regard to computers and their cabling is the seemingly unmanageable rat's nest that develops no matter how methodical or careful you are about routing/separating them. I've tried every imaginable "fix" over the years. And, while some are better than others, I've found that every "fix" has some kind of flaw(s).

In addition to computers and everything associated with them that my company works on, we also do quite a bit of home theater and home automation type of stuff. I was doing home theater and custom home stereo configurations and installs long before I ever started playing with computers so I have the "consolidate, minimize, and hide" mindset which..... isn't always as easy to implement when it comes to computers et al - although I still try. :ranting: And even when you've been as tidy and anal as possible when running the cables - even if we're just talking about a single PC connected wirelessly to a network, the cabling gets gnarled and $&#%ed-up in no time. And like Keith noted, God forbid you lose a single cable into the abyss behind your desk, there is a moment where I believe we all actually contemplate and weigh out the options of actually retrieving the cable or taking the easier path and write it off a s a loss and just grabbing another one. :lol: This is so simple it's brilliant! And here's the part of your solution that makes it even sweeter.... I've got probably a hundred of those clips around the house which I've never used for anything yet I still have them. Going to get to work on this as soon as I get home and make some free time. Thanks for this!!

Edited by Coach Steve, 07 February 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Glad you liked that as much as I do. The idea behind it reminds me of a saying -- Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. ~Confucius

I just realized that I'm starting to sound like Wilson on the tv show Tool Time - LOLOLOL!!!!!!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

brilliant. Ive tried everything from twist ties to those fancy cable management clips from homedepot without much sucess (and a lot of wasted money) This idea looks like the best ive seen yet-will have to give it a try.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Glad you liked that as much as I do. The idea behind it reminds me of a saying -- Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. ~Confucius

I just realized that I'm starting to sound like Wilson on the tv show Tool Time - LOLOLOL!!!!!!

Another quote that comes to mind which kinda applies to our repeated attempts to tame something that EVERYONE has tried and failed at...
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." A. Einstein
Pretty much sums it up in a tidy little sentence doesn't it? LMAO!
Maybe the scariest thing about the whole issue is that we (the tech-savvy, computer geeks of the world) are supposed to be a little brighter than the rest yet, it's little things like this (the cable dilemma) that stop us in our tracks and reduce us to 3rd graders. :lol: :P

And regarding the Wilson comment...
That's not altogether a bad thing though. Think of the Wilson/Taylor relationship like this:
Tim is a loose cannon who acts on impulse with everything he does. Wilson is the well-grounded, anchored pillar of wisdom without whose reality checks Tim gets handed him would go off on a tangent and never hit a wall or a barrier. He'd just keep going until he ran out of steam or killed himself. The visual for that analogy is the dog leash that's attached to tha huge cork-screw looking anchor that you screw into the ground. Tim's attached to one end and Wilson IS the other end. :thumbup2: :wink:

You're welcome.

Edited by Coach Steve, 08 February 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

That tip is one of the best I have seen in a long time. Thanks very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users