Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Behavior with Firefox

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

I run Windows XP Pro and use Firefox as my primary browser. For some time now I've noticed some very strange behavior. It seems to be linked to my Flickr account. When I go to my own Flickr gallery, but not signed in, my computer locks up for a few seconds and I can't even close the page. It indicates that "l.yimg" is loading. I can't sign in during this time. Oddly, when I go to the same page in Chrome, I can sign in immediately. One time when I was trying to close up the page using task manager, I checked the details of the 'non responsive' message and it cited two problems:

firefox.exe.mdmp
appcompat.txt

I tried searching for mdmp but found little information on that file.

I've run a complete system scan with Avast and MalwareBytes and neither finds any infected files.

This evening, I briefly opened Firefox and after closing it, noted that it was still running on my system, using 110,000 K, which is far more than is normal.

Could I have a backdoor trojan or other malware?

Some things I forgot (but added after posting the above:

Oopss...forgot to mention I did try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. Another thing I noticed is regarding my external hard drive. I notice that when I'm using Firefox and I want to close it down (I store all my photography on it, and I'm talking nearly a TB of photos), using the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature, often it says I can't because the system is still using it. I don't recall if this occurance is everytime I use FFox or not. I can't figure out what part of my computer is doing so (all programs are closed) and once I while it was shutting down right near the end I pulled the power and got an error message something about my system was writing something and the data would be lost. I can't figure out what that's about. I have about 56 GB of stuff on my internal HD, mostly photo related, and my computer reports that 108 GB of my HD is filled. I have some hoggy programs like MS Office and Adobe CS Suite, but that still seems excessive, no?

When I use Chrome, I can safely remove my HD any time.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 06 February 2012 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I do not believe any of this is malware related but system issues.. You should ask in the Forum that corresponds to your Operating System. They will help you look at your mint dump files.

The l.yimg item I feel can be fixed by removing the Yahoo Toolbar thru Control Panel .
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users