Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron e1705

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Greetings and salutations. I am working on my friend's computer and have hit a snag. When I press the power button, nothing happens except for some indicator lights turning on. (the power light turns on as well) No Dell start-up screen, no noises from the hard drive or disc drive, absolutely nothing happens. Three lights turn on in the small display panel to the left of the power button. These lights are indicators for the following:

Farthest left from the power button, the indicator light is solid and is the light that indicates that the number pad is enabled.
Directly next to that light, to the right, is a flashing light, that is to indicate when the uppercase letter function is enabled.
Directly next that light, to the right, is a flashing light, that is to indicate when the scroll lock function is enabled.

After about one minute, the power light and the 3 indicator lights all go off. Nothing else happens.

Any clues as to what is going on here cause I'm at a loss on this one. I'm no slouch when it comes to some computer stuff but this seems to be a bit more involved than just trying to get this thing restored.

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2012 - 06:20 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Start by checking from the Dell support site for diagnostic lights.

Tekken

#3 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for responding, but unfortunately, this information does not apply to this computer. The information you provided refers to a desk top computer and I have an Inspiron e1705 as indicated in the topic of this post.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Dell™ Inspiron™ 9400/E1705 manuals including service manual.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9400/en/index.htm

Troubleshooting
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9400/en/om/trouble.htm

You can try taking out the memory modules 0ne at a time and see if it stays on then.

The bad news is I have seen indications that this problem is common to a failed video card. If you remove the video card and the laptop at least turns on and stays on you have probably found the problem. Notice that no video card means no display.

Try removing a memory module and if no change swap the memory module and try again.

If you decide to take out the video card follow the first link and choose HTML Documents service manual.

Be very careful with releasing the keyboard cable connector it is delicate.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 February 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thank you for responding. I have already removed the memory modules, the hard drive, the optic drive, all one at a time, and the problem persists. I will try the video card now and see what happens. I have searched all over the dell manuals you have linked but have not found any information pertaining to this problem or any solutions.

Update:
Can't remove video card as it is an integrated card. So now it looks as if I may need to replace the system board. Anyone able to throw their two cents in here before I replace the system board?

Edited by WatDabney, 06 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

This might do it: Take a look at this page:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_DBECF64CFEDA449398CB9E859D4944A5&isLegacy=true

I presume you looked at the USB ports to be sue there is no physical damage on any of them?

Strange that the service manual shows a video card your must be a less expensive model.

I'd wait a couple of days before splurging on a motherboard. I'd want to be very sure before splurging motherboard money.

You could visit the Dell Community forums and try for help there too.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspx

Edited by rotor123, 06 February 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yes I have examined every aspect of this laptop, including tearing it down to the system board, and there appears to be no signs of damage anywhere. (And let me add, this computer is one of the most simple designs I have ever seen. It was a pleasure to take it apart and put it all back together with no guess work or extra parts left over. The last computer I dug into was an HP and I had to break things to get to the system board... horrible experience.)

The Inspiron e1705 had an optional video card, but I am assuming that my friend did not splurge when he was looking at the options. Do you think connecting an external display would work to show if the integrated video card is the culprit? I'm going to give that a try and see what happens. Couldn't hurt, right?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

FWIW in the future,

HP, Dell, Lenovo put their maintenance (Service) manuals online for all to use.

167 @ June 2015

#9 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thank you Rotor for your input on this issue. I have spoken with the owner of the computer and told him of the option of replacing the system board. He is willing to go for it since that would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new system. I have not had any more luck in getting this system up and running, and I have seen that others have had this same problem while researching online. Now for the fun part of finding a reliable part that is compatible. Any suggestions on where to look for a new/refurbished part? Hopefully something with a warranty and from a reliable source.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

You can't just buy a generic motherboard for any laptop. It has to be for that make and model.

I replaced a Toshiba motherboard last month, I got off cheap it was only $227 from Toshiba New. I looked up another Toshiba Motherboard for a friend and it was $535 from Toshiba so it is all over the place on prices.For a Dell you have a choice of Dell or a Internet Vendor such as Ebay. I don't buy from Ebay BTW nor do I suggest it.

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=E1705+Motherboard&btnG=Search

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

You've probably checked this but...

Does the power jack seems loose at all or maybe cracked, broken inside? I don't know if that dell has a center pin inside the jack but if it does is it loose?

Have you tried running it from the battery while not plugged into the AC adapter?

Did your friend drop it or trip over the cord?

Like I said, you probably did try these but since your looking at replacing the board, just thought I'd ask :)

James

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

NeverSayDie just as a FYI for the future, the newer Dells have a round three conductor plug on the AC Adapter. The older one use a different shape 3 pin plug.

The inside and outside of the plugs shell is where the DC is. There is a small center pin in the Adapters plug that is used to tell the laptop what Adapter is plugged in, IE 65 watt, 90 watt etc.

It will throw a warning when turned on if that center pin is missing and will run in a reduced speed mode and not charge the battery but the laptop will run that way.

This center pin signaling is also why many of the cheap non Dell adapters sold on the Internet are not the best solution to replace a bad adapter.

Best Regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 February 2012 - 10:20 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users