Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cracked Laptop Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baloonparty

baloonparty

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

So, I accidentally damaged my Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4830TG-6450 when I fell down at school. I called acer customer support and asked about warranty coverage and the likes, and it would end up costing $199+shipping to get it fixed out-of-warranty. Hearing some horror stories about acer's repair service, I decided that I would just buy a replacement screen and get a techy friend to help me out for 1/3 of the price (Terrible idea, no?)

Does anyone know how to take apart this acer model? I cant seem to find any service manuals. This laptop seems to have no screws/screw covers along the bezel. I am thinking I need to unhinge the entire screen. If anyone can provide the service manual or some tips, it would be helpful!

Edited by baloonparty, 05 February 2012 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Looking now.......

EDIT: No go. Got Aspire 4720, then it skips to 4920, 4930 etc. Nothing shows for 4830 or "TimelineX" in my manuals.

You will likely have to pull at least the keyboard and upper trim to get at the connector to the videocard/motherboard. After that, remove hinges from main body, pull the whole screen/lid and go from there. If there are no external screws it is a snap together unit.

I will continue to look around.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 February 2012 - 01:19 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Veowkane

Veowkane

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I've replaced dozens of Laptop LCD panels . I've studied a picture of this model and it looks like there may be two screws covers on the lower left and right corner of the LCD bezel. A razor blade or something thin and sharp will aid in peeling the plastic screw covers.Remove the two screws. start at the top of the bezel around the cam lense and with your fingers push up and out along the left and right side of the bezel. The bezel uses plastics clips and double-side tape to secure the bezel to the LCD top rear cover. It's really easy. then removed the screws securing the lcd panel to the LCD rear top cover and left and right brackets. get the part number off the back the screen.

Unless this laptop uses a high end screen, you can expect to pay around $100.00 for a new panel.

Veowkane

#4 baloonparty

baloonparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I will take this info to my friend sometime this week and we'll check it out (: Ill report back in soon.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

BTW, here is a video on an Acer Aspire disasemblly.

http://aspirecard.blogspot.com/2012/02/acer-aspire-take-apartdisassembly.html

I realize it is not the same model but they often use the same manner of mounting things, whether it be the screen or mobo.

Also, look for rubber "plugs" that are hiding screws.

Good luck. Shouldn't be too bad.

DR

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

As was said there are usually covers over the screws. They typical look like rubber bumpers that are there to keep the screen from scratching the laptop base.

I have seen some newer model laptops with no screws, Cheapskates!

Those you grab the bezel on the inside where the screen is and lift it up gently until the plastic clips release, then work around the inside of the bezel until it is off.

But first look for two to six screws under cosmetic covers. Be careful they have a habit of flying away when being removed.
Once the screws are removed you are back to grabbing the inside edge of the bezel and lifting it up until the plastic clips release.
Being very gentle as they break easy.

Another place to look. many times people post a video of this sort of repair on Youtube.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 February 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users