Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Dell Desktop won't load windows XP properly?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I just received a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop for free and figured I can just get it back to nothing on it by formatting it and giving it to a friend. I have a windows XP Home OS install disc that I downloaded not too long ago, I used the very same install OS cd on a dell laptop and windows XP installed perfectly fine, and I went to Dell's website and downloaded all the drivers. Now with this Desktop, I put in the OS install CD, booted to the CD, of course the windows XP install screen came up. I deleted the old partition, created a new one, and began to install windows on it. The computer restarted and went into the installation screen. However, it freezes at 39minutes and then after about 15 min an error screen pops up. I just used the disc recently and can't figure out why it is stopping at that 39min screen?

So the next thing I tried was this: I also have an older OS upgrade cd of Windows XP home. I popped that in the drive and tried to install that way and it went perfectly fine. After windows xp loaded up, i went to download the drivers from Dell and that worked. But when I try to get the service packs from microsoft, it won't let me install them and an error comes up. Now why would those error messages come up? When i turned on automatic updates, the computer would not retrieve the updates from microsoft. I had to go to the site and do it manually, but I got an error message not allowing me to install the microsoft service packs (i tried service pack 1 and 3 and both gave me an error). Would really appreciate what to do on this.

Also, the computer is bone stock, nothing too fancy about it, but I hope it works just to do basic stuff like internet surfing and microsoft office. Only has 256mb of ram, but that should be fine to run windows XP i would think. Because the system was built and came with windows xp on the 256mb memory. Thanks for anyones help/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just received a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop for free and figured I can just get it back to nothing on it by formatting it and giving it to a friend. I have a windows XP Home OS install disc that I downloaded not too long ago,

From where did you download the XP CD?

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

also .its likely because it needs to be activated ,unless it a copy of the old devils own winxp ,if that the case then you need to buy a copy of winxp

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

<<I have a windows XP Home OS install disc that I downloaded not too long ago.>>

Pending the answer to Allan's question...I will only add that illegal downloads of Windows, programs, etc...offter great opportunities for your system to become infected/compromised.

Cracked Software and Malware - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Reveals-the-Risks-of-Using-Pirated-XP-and-Office-39285.shtml

Louis

#5 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I am sorry I phrased it the way I did then, I used a P2P program to download the Windows XP Home OS from a friend of mine who lives on the West coast as I am in the Midwest. He has a purchased version; I downloaded it from his computer and then just burnt it to a disc. Nice of him to let me use it though. Anyways, i used it on my laptop and it worked perfectly fine and installed with no problems. Why it will not install on this dell dimension 2400 desktop I have no idea.

I have a windows xp home OS cd that I purchased quite a few years ago, but it got scratched and damaged during a move, unfortunately. So no, it is not pirated or stolen. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the computers hard drive possibly. I don't think having 256mb of ram would cause this to happen.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2012 - 07:43 PM.
Merged posts.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

I don't think having 256mb of ram would cause this to happen.

no ,that would not cause it ,i just recently install xp sp3 on a 800 cpu with 256 ,then added a 512 to it

boot to the windows cd and got to R for repair and run chkdsk /r , ant the prompt to check the hardrive

Edited by caperjac, 05 February 2012 - 07:17 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

I will try that once I get home from work, sorry I haven't done that before. Could you please just elaborate and put that in to lamens terms just a little bit more for me to follow directions to do that?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Google Results, 39 Minute Stop

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users