Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kelloggdental

kelloggdental

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have an Asus Z3100 notebook with a bad hard drive. (grinding sound bad bearings, no longer recognized by BIOS,etc.)
The original specs said it was a Toshiba MK4025GAS 80 GB capacity, IDE. The chipset is Intel® 852/855 GM/GME
My question is can I up-grade to 100 or 120 gb and still use the IDE connection and where could I get such a drive? They seem to be not very available. I don't want to use SpareLapTop Parts in the UK as they do not seem to value US customers. Also, can I use another manufacture's HD?
kelloggdental

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

My question is can I up-grade to 100 or 120 gb and still use the IDE connection and where could I get such a drive?
Also, can I use another manufacture's HD?

Yes.

Newegg

Edited by LucheLibre, 05 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 kelloggdental

kelloggdental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Now my hard drive has been installed and loaded with Win XP Pro and running nicely thanks to newegg western digital 120 gb harddrive. However, now I do not have any wi-fi. No blue light. No internet access. Now what.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Likely its because you haven't installed the driver for the wireless.

I cannot find your particluar laptop model through Google or Asus' site. Are you sure you have the right model number?

Edit: You might try going here: http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Use the automatic detection option and it should provide you with the appropriate drivers.

2nd Edit: The closest I got was the Z31N, whose drivers can be found here if the auto-detect doesn't work:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Z31N&p=3&s=34&os=17&hashedid=n/a

Edited by LucheLibre, 14 February 2012 - 07:07 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 kelloggdental

kelloggdental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

OK looks like Z31 is the successor to Z3100. They look the same in the pictures. So, based on the idea that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask...can I go to Asus support, download the wifi driver on my Win 7 laptop, burn a disk, put it on the Asus machine, start Win xp and expect the driver to load itself and all will be right? Also, how many other drivers should I get to have a good workable notebook for travel and playing music only? No heavy duty stuff.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

If you can use an ethernet cord and plug the Asus into the router, then you can just download the file from the website and run it. It will install itself. If it's the right driver, you'll see the wireless icon in the lower right of the screen (probably telling you that there are wireless networks available.)

Otherwise, yes you can download it on another machine and transfer it to the Asus. (If you have a flash drive, that would be easier. Copy/Paste.) When you get the file on the Asus, run it and let it install the driver. Note that the file will not run itself automatically, you'll need to double-click it yourself to get the ball rolling.

Be sure to try the auto-detect option from Asus first. It should point you to the exact driver-set for your machine.

As for the rest, it won't hurt to install the Asus driver for each component, and may have benefits. But for simplicity-sake, click the start orb and type in device manager. When it appears in the search results, double-click it. Look for any device that has a yellow exclamation point. If you find one, get its driver from the website. If you're unsure what to do, post back here and I'll help.

Edited by LucheLibre, 15 February 2012 - 04:00 PM.

~ LL ~

#7 kelloggdental

kelloggdental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

well, I tried to get the drivers onto the Z3100, Asus has3 wireless drivers available, I down loaded to my flash drive and put them into the notebook They were in zipped files. So at the end the notice was that "The wizard cannot create a wireless network. either because a wireless network adapter is not installed or because the software for the wireless network adapter is not installed." I do not know what an adapter looks like or where to get the software. So...what's next?

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's could simply the case that a Z3100 uses a different wireless component than a Z31 does.

Lets find out what you have inside.

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
  • Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.
  • Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, if available.
=========================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 16 February 2012 - 08:17 PM.

~ LL ~

#9 kelloggdental

kelloggdental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Pentium M 725
Dothan 90nm Technology
RAM
760 MB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M5N (X1) 52 C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (800x600@1Hz)
Hard Drives
156GB Western Digital WDC WD1600BEVE-00A0HT0 (PATA) 38 C
Optical Drives
MATbleepA UJDA755 DVD/CDRW
Audio
No audio card detected
This is an ASUS Z3100 Notebook Model # M5000 Serial # 4BNP023000

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2

If that Information came from Speccy, then you are in great need of updating.

Using Internet Explorer, navigate to http://update.microsoft.com and follow the directions you are given.

The drivers can be found here:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M5NP

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users