Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re-installing ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

i need to re-install ubuntu on my netbook (so no disc drive) i installed using a usb. but now i have forgotton how to put ubuntu on usb plus i am unable to download software as my software centre is not working. can i/how do i reinstall/format and put ubuntu back on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

This is probably where you made your USB from -

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Have you tried running these two commands in a terminal on your current installation to see if it corrects the Software Center issue?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Edited by Keith1, 05 February 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#3 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

how do i do that where is terminal? i think i should wipe and start again can i do that without dvd or usb?

#4 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm not sure, but I think you are using version 11.10? Not being sure, you can do it this way -

CTRL+ALT+T will open a terminal. Type or Copy/paste the first command I posted at the prompt in the terminal then hit enter - you will then have to enter your password. After it finishes do the same with the second command - it will ask if you want to continue at one point, just hit the y key. After that's finished close the terminal window. see if Software Center will work now.

I was just looking at your previous post about a video downloader, and see this issue mentioned there. It does look like you may wind up doing a fresh install. As far as installing Ubuntu without a cd/dvd or USB stick, I don't know for sure so I won't comment on that.

#5 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

In Ubuntu look for Startup Disc Creator. I forget if it's installed by default. If it isn't and Software Center or Synaptic isn't working maybe apt will work in terminal. This command should installed it.

sudo apt-get install usb-creator-common

That should do it.

You'll need to either download the ISO or have a live CD handy to create your live USB stick.

#6 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

i get this message from those commands

"the package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened"

software centre not working

#7 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm pretty sure it should already be installed in Ubuntu. But I could be wrong. OK try this, go to this page and download the .deb package from there.

My linkhttp://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/usb-creator-common/download

The file is called usb-creator-common_0.2.22.3_all.deb

Just double click the file to install.

Or use terminal to install it. cd to where the file is then do this code,

sudo dpkg -i usb-creator-common_0.2.22.3_all.deb

Hopefully if it needs dependencies not installed yet it'll grab them but not sure in your case. Give it a try. If it doesn't work there is UNetbootin.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Click the big blue button at the top to download it for Linux. Scrol down for Linux installation. Select your USB stick. After it's created it should prompt you to reboot then see if your USB stick will boot.

#8 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

nothing is working when i use the terminal commands sourceforge downloads but will not open, nothineg ever opens when dloaded from the web i need to use the software centre right? the one that doesnt work...

i think i will have to make it on another computer

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

when I installed linux mint 12, I used ubuntu to install it on the usb. first I downloaded the iso to the ubuntu desktop pc from the ubuntu site.

system>administration>startup disk creator>under 'cd-drive image', your iso goes>under 'device' your usb goes

my sisters dell mini netbook was very fussy. I had to try three different flash drives before one would work. exact same procedure, different flash drive.

#10 TroubleshootingFiend

TroubleshootingFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

If you have access to a Windows computer, YUMI is a good program to easily install to USB. As an added bonus, it's portable, so you don't have to install it. That is probably the easiest method.

If you don't have access to Windows, let me know and I'll try to come up with a Linux specific solution to install to USB, using the information above.

#11 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

yes i typed startup disk creator into the dash and used the startup program to mount the iso now installed 11.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users