Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a second modem to increase the soignal in a part of my house

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Background for past two years:

I initially had a laptop and a desktop with one Telkom router, running both wireless and wired (Ethernet cable)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My daughters got laptops, and I bought a Netgear Wireless N300 Router/Modem for a better signal.

Posted Image

The signal is good, but at the extremes of the house poor.

I found on the internet a plan of a “Windsurfer” and built one. The results were not that impressive.

So I thought to incorporate the first router (the Telkom router/modem) somewhere in the LAN for a boost.

I changed the first (Telkom) router to a booster, but struggled (used advice from the internet) and stopped the exercise. Some settings were changed on the Telkom modem. So this was the situation for the past 2 years.

We only used the Netgear modem which was centrally located.

Current situation:

I recently moved to another study- the Netgear wireless signal is excellent in the study, but the signal is bad in the rest of the house. There is no signal in my bedroom.

This is a quick drawing of the set-up:

Posted Image

From the PC, I connect to Netgear with an Ethernet cable, which gives wired internet to the computer(PC) and wireless internet to rooms close by.

If I now connect the Netgear modem with an Ethernet cable from the study to a central point in the house to the Telkom modem, it does not produce a signal from the Telkom modem and wireless does not work at all.

The only lights that show on the Telkom modem, are the Power light, the E2 light and the Wireless light.

If this might help, I connected both modems to the PC and got the Default Gateway address for the Telkom modem: 10.0.0.2 and for the Netgear modem is 192.168.0.1

To summarize:

Netgear is working fine.

I want the Telkom modem to supply the remainder of the house where the signal is poor or where there is no signal.

I have 3 telephone points, so can connect the Telkom modem to a telephone connection, if that might help.

Any advice will help.

Thanks!!

Edited by avz10, 05 February 2012 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I want the Telkom modem to supply the remainder of the house where the signal is poor or where there is no signal.

A more knowledgeable answer would be posted along here but I think both the network devices cannot act as either one can be for wired and the other for wireless. Its more applicable if a wireless repeater is installed if there is distance or range problem on poor signals.

Tekken

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hello,

Just to clarify, you cannot use the ADSL modem in that manner. It simply wont work. You could (if its a really long distance) get another wireless router. But as jhayz has stated it would simply be better to get a repeater. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have 3 telephone points in the house. If I connect the Telkom modem with the telephone line as well as with the Ethernet cable, is there not a way that it would work?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

I have 3 telephone points in the house

Most likely an extension of some kind but usually the phone filter is the important part to achieve this. The main phone line connection usually have this. Without this phone and dsl splitter on other extension lines around the house, you cannot use the ISP modem as an access point in the first place.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users