Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless fluctuates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beaglebean

beaglebean

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

I purchased a new laptop recently (nothing fancy) and since day one have had internet issues. I get internet and I am using it right now, but it goes up and down. I will notice it is slow, then look at the connection and when I hover over it, it will show poor or low like this:

Posted Image

then usually go from "poor connection" to excellent when I hover over it....
Posted Image

but starts fluctuating again shortly after. At times when it is really bad I will click on "diagnose" on the connection and it will tell me my network card is being reset.

None of the other wireless computers or devices in the house are having the fluctuations so I assume its a problem with something on this laptop. The info for it:

HP 2000 notebook
Windows 7 Home (64 bit)
AMD E350 4Gig

The wifi adapter is a Ralink 5390 if that helps at all.

I don't know much about computers, but I'd like to try and solve this issue since it's only this laptop having it. Thanks for any time and advice in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Have you tried taking it to a fairly closer distance to check on the range first? I notice you still used WEP. Does router or laptop aren't capable of WPA/WPA2 security encryption?

Tekken

#3 beaglebean

beaglebean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Well I am not using a secure connection right now because we are in the middle of nowhere and I am constantly having people over getting on and off the wireless. Just seemed easier?

As for my distance, I am fairly close. None of my other devices or laptops have this issue even twice as far away?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Check your linksys settings and look to changing the broadcast support(b/g/n or mixed)feature and wireless channel. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users