Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Root USB ports are disabled.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I accidentally disabled my PC's USB slots while I was attempting to find a problematic driver.
I had 4 named USB roots and then 4 called 'USB root hub' I disabled (without re-activating the other drivers stupidly) now I can't, in anyway control my Computer after booting. I have attempted to look in the BIOS but since it is windows which disables them, the BIOS say all USB are enabled. If i boot in safe mode: nothing, if I boot normally: nothing. To add insult to injury now every time I restart my Computer it attempts to scan my it master hard drive, which takes around 2 hours. and since i have no use of my USBs I cant click to skip. it would be majorly appreciated if someone knew how to fix it, preferably without a reinstall of windows 7, as i no longer own the install disk. though i fear i need it to run a fix. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

You should be able to enable them by going to Device Manager via the Hardware Tab in System Properties.

#3 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

You should be able to enable them by going to Device Manager via the Hardware Tab in System Properties.

I cant do this, since it is a PC i have my Mouse and Keyboard connected via USB....which now dont work. I know if i got to the device manager i could fix it here, but I cant even log in.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hi

I can try to help you.

What type of computer is it? Manufacturer / Model?

How exactly did you kill the USB ports?

Have you allowed the disk scan to go all the way through and complete at least once?

James

#5 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi

I can try to help you.

Have you allowed the disk scan to go all the way through and complete at least once?

James

It's a custom build computer, consisting of a Foxconn mother board. But I don't see this as the probelm, I was trying to fix a driver problem, and I disabled the USB drives, stupidly. Thus my USB mouse and keyboard stopped working. If i unplug them, they are still disabled, i attempted to reboot the PC which has now just got me stuck at the log in screen. and i did let the scan run, and it just says my Drive passed and I got straight to the log in screen. Any suggestions? (I have no PS/2 [if that is what they are called] connector.)

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Okay, so far sounds good.

It's a flaw in the design so don't beat yourself up about it :)
Even most of the newest high quality motherboards have PS/2 ports specifically because of this issue. Not having PS/2 makes it Foxconn's mistake.

I need some more specific information.

1. So you disabled it in Device Manager?

2. Do you know the model of the motherboard?

3. How many USB ports are there?

4. Are there USB ports on the front and on the back? If so, be sure to try them all.

5. Do you know if it has a serial port?

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 04 February 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#7 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

1. Yes, i deactivated the USB ports via device manager, probably shows i'm an idiot.

2. Foxconn G31MX.

3. 4 linked hardwired to the motherboard. 2 front wired on. All were 100% working till I disabled the wired.

4. All ports not working, I attempted them all.

5. 1 serial port, and here is another thing that will make me seem like a complete fool. I do have PS/2 ports.... If I can't find away without the use of them, i will use that. If that is my only solution then i'm sorry to have waited your time ha ha.

My sense of stressed urgency is just coming from deadlines i have on college work. Backed myself in to that hole. ha ha.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

Really, don't feel bad. I locked all my car keys and both garage door openers in the trunk of my locked and running car once :)

Now, you should feel like I felt when my wife called my dad and found that he still had an extra key.

You got a PS/2 port WOOHOO!

Anyway, you should be able to get a PS/2 mouse and keyboard for pretty cheap and it's good to have if one day something blows out the onboard fuses for your USB controller (it happens). If your at a college, then check around the dorm. I'm sure someone is still using PS/2 setup, check the library and see if the librarian has any you can borrow.

If you don't need to type a password to logon, you can get by with just a mouse otherwise, you might as well get both. The mouse should be less than $10 and the keyboard around should be less than $20 so it's not a prohibitively expensive solution.

If you continue to have problems after getting the PS/2 devices, post here. I will be automatically be watching this thread for awhile.

James

#9 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

My dad just told me he has some USB to PS/2 for a mouse converter in work! I'll use accsability settings and get the on screen keyboard up!
Well, looks like that should be my problem solved! Thanks for your help James :lol:

Pleasure talking to you! You cheered me up at least ha ha

Danny.

#10 walldoo99

walldoo99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Hi

I can try to help you.

James

It's a custom build computer, consisting of a Foxconn mother board. But I don't see this as the problem, I was trying to fix a driver problem, and I disabled the USB drives, stupidly. Thus my USB mouse and keyboard stopped working. If i unplug them, they are still disabled, i attempted to reboot the PC which has now just got me stuck at the log in screen. and i did let the scan run, and it just says my Drive passed and I got straight to the log in screen. Any suggestions? (I have no PS/2 [if that is what they are called] connector.)

My friend did the same thing last night but he is on my teamviewer acct so I logged in and fixed it. I found this because he was wondering what to do if he hadn't had that option. He feels a lot better after I sent him this link. Now he knows he wasn't the first. I had forgotten all about PS2 mouses and I have one sitting here. He's just lucky I was on facebook last night. He had to call his wife from his dads house, where he had taken his desktop PC, but not his cell phone, ask her to send me a message to call him with the # for his dads place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users