Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP2 Installation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 honda2010

honda2010

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

I got in contact with Microsoft They send me a Windows XP Pro SP2 disc with keys. I have reformated and itstalled. I have FF 10 and avast free installed also so far. Its working like a top. My question it will it update? I know if you go to Microsoft website manually its not compatible. But if I check download updates and let me choose to install on auto updates will it update? I have tried d/l sp3 3 different times all I get is file corrupt on the extraction. It dont do it in same place every time but never gets past extraction. The last time I d/l from a wired connection and still same thing. Any Ideas on how I could get this updated? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Have you tried the following Windows XP SP3?

#3 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yes that's the one i have downloaded at least 4 times. Last time was on wired download. I downloaded with machine im trying to apply it to. Never gets past extraction. Fails in different spot everytime.

#4 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25129

What is this one? Will that work? Do I boot to disc to do this?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

The reason the download is failing could probably be related to a bad hard drive or bad ram.

Edited by cryptodan, 04 February 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#6 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Ok when I run this it all comes up but the Hard Drives. It still says analyzing then popup says Speccy has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. I swaped out ram and same thing.

Note when reformatting it gets hung on 44% for about 20 minutes then continues.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I would suspect that its time to get another hard drive those are signs of hardware failing and on top of corrupted downloads.

#8 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Ok I just put another hard drive in in. Im gonna do another format and install and see what happens. Thanks! I will post back results.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

You are welcome.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

BTW if you are on XP SP2 you can use Windows Updates to download and install updates.

I Just did a WinXP SP1 Upgrade from Win2K for someone and I had to download and install SP2 then I could just run windows update to get all the rest of the updates.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Ok guys that was the problem. I installed this other hard drive. I reformatted and installed xp pro sp2 with the disc then put my usb in and installed sp3 with no problems what so ever. Now all updates are done to and its up and working flawlessly and really fast. Only took 10 minutes to format and it was taking over a hour with hard drive.

About the windows updates if you go to website it tells me cant do them manually that it doesn't support sp1 or 2 any longer. Had to install via usb stick after d/l from Microsoft site. But after I installed sp3 I went to website and done them no problems.

Thanks for all your guys help and info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users