Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Library Disadvantages?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hiya Bleepsters.

I've heard that storing files in the Windows "Libraries" is not the best idea. Some people completely loathe the idea. I can't remember why ATM. :huh:

What say you? Should I create my own folders for storing my music, pictures, and documents? And/or/if so, should I copy and paste/drag and drop what's in the libraries right now to newly created personal user folders of my own naming, or are the Windows libraries only shortcuts to get to the files within, with said files actually being somewhere else on the machine? (Maybe THAT'S what I've heard others say they loathe so much.)

Lastly, I mainly use the backup/image built into Win 7 x64 Home Premium to backup/image to an external. Once in a while I also use Macrium Reflect as an extra measure. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having said files in or out of said libraries for ease of backing up and restoring?

Tera-thanks!

BTW - as mentioned, I'm running Home Premium x64, but it's a shop-built computer. More specs are in my profile here. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

It is a personal preference thing.

Just like office 2010 vs Office 2003. You either like the new interface or you hate it.
I'm in the latter camp by the way.

I store files on a different data only drive.
That way when I go to back them up to a BluRay disc I know where they are.
Not to mention I don't want to put junk on my boot SSD despite it having plenty of room.

In terms of backing up I cloned my boot drive so I can go back to it if something happens like catching a virus. Thus for me having all data files on a different drive works best so I can restore the boot drive from the cloned version and not lose all the data files. I'll be burning 100gig or so Sunday to back them up and free space. I fell behind on backing up.

You need to decide what works best for you.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 February 2012 - 05:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Well...you need to remember that the Library...is just a virtual setup, it doesn't reflect the file location...it just congregates certain files you place in the library, theoretically for easy access. There is no Library folder if you use Explorer view and there is no path that has "library" in it.

Since I still know how to navigate My Computer and Explorer...I see no need for the Library setup. My method is like Roger's...I create partitions and folders within those partitions...to store my data files.

Louis

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/libraries

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2012 - 11:57 AM.
Added link.

#4 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback, and for the link. I'll read it right now.

I don't think I'll go so far as to create partitions, but maybe I'll create my own folders for these "library" files, since I'm familiar with Windows Explorer as well.

Do you think either Libraries or my own folders will make a difference in backing up, and restoring if I need to, heaven forbid that I'll need to? Particularly, would using the backup/image feature in W7 like I usually do be more likely to correctly back up the Libraries rather than my own data folders?

Thanks!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

I can't address the Win 7 backup because I don't use it (prefer to just clone the partition to one of the many hard drives I have installed).

Cloning creates an exact duplicate.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

One other possible drawback to Libraries is that in case you ever need to find files with a Linux disc because Windows won't boot You most likely won't know where they are.

If you know what drive and folder they are in then copying them in Linux will be easier. IMO of course.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the further input, everybody.

The Linux disc issue is a strong argument. I've indeed needed to use them. I've cloned a few times too, so maybe I'll do that more often instead of using Win 7 backup.

Thanks again!

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

I have 70 personal items (folders) that are each named with a personal icon. I have all 70 folders included in one folder called "My Desk". This is extremely easy to find ... I do back up "my Desk" folder to a CD-RW , just in case I need to add the same files, important URLs, etc. to another computer.

This may not be the most Hi-Tech way of backing up, but I've been doing this since my first Win95 computer and it's never, ever failed :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

BTW ... here is a link to some folder icons that you or someone else might like http://www.iconarchive.com/category/folder-icons.small-previews.by-date.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for that, Jacee. Very cool.

I'm like you; I've had catch-all folders with names like "Stuff" or "Snappy Name" and subfolders within them. The personal icons rock though!

Thanks. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users