Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost Imaging from VISTA to XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlakeM

BlakeM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hello, a friend of mine had a boot problem. He took his laptop (run on windows vista) to a computer repair shop and they made a ghost image of his entire computer. They then told us to reformat and he did with XP disks. We went back to get the data back on but my friend decided not to pay for the extra cost so I said I would figure the process out.

The worker told me to basically use "ghost explorer" and "extract" the files back on. But it doesn't seem as simple. None of the programs will open. (due to registry key problems).
So basically I want to know which option I should take. Ill learn the process but I need to know which one is necessary to get his files and programs back on this laptop which is now XP sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

You cannot "extract" programs to another disk.

Programs and accompanying registry entries...only occur when the program is properly installed. Cloning the drive captures all system aspects, including registry entries and settings, a clone is a literal copy of the drive.

In order for programs on a cloned hard drive to function...the entire cloned drive/partition must be restored/used, not part of it.

An additional situation would be the fact that laptops may use nonstandard boot systems and partitions...if these are not included in the replacement drive, I would not expect it to function properly.

Ghost Explorer Info

<<So basically I want to know which option I should take.>>

Your decision, my friend :). If you read some of the links dealing with Ghost and Ghost Explorer...it seems like a crapshoot, IMO.

There are better cloning tools available today, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users