Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Not Working (No Input)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 McTash

McTash

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi all

Apologies if this has come up previously - I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I have recently come into a new (2nd hand) PC from my brother. The only computer has been given to the kids, but I was hoping to retain some of the hardware, as it is better than the peripherals that came with the new one.

However, when I tried using my monitor with the new unit, it remains blank and displays the message 'no input detected'. The old PC is an ancient Dell Dimension 4600 (Win XP) - I have been using an Acer monitor, model X193HQ and it worked straight out of the box. The new computer is an HP (not sure of the exact model) running Windows 7. This is currently connected to an old Dell monitor. While my old Dell will happily work with either screen, the HP unit refuses to acknowledge the Acer kit.

Not sure whether this is a compatiblity or settings issue (my knowledge of such things is limited at best). In case you need graphics card settings,the Dell is on an intergrated card/chip, and the HP (according to the sticker on the front) has a GeForce 4 440X, or at least something with a similar name.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 McTash

McTash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Update:

It is not the monitor! I've noticed that, even with the Dell monitor, I sometime have to switch the HP unit off & on once or twice before I get an image. All the appropriate LEDs on the tower light up, and the fans are all working, but the monitor behaves as if nothing is plugged in. After a restart or 2, Windows 7 starts as normal and we are away. Not sure whether this is still a hardware issue, but any advice would be welcome.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I notice it is a new, second hand desktop? Did it worked before it was given away? Do you see other video connector available from the computer?

Tekken

#4 McTash

McTash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Everything was working fine.

Got the computer home and plugged everything in - absolutely no problems. Relocated it upstairs and now I have to turn off & back on every time to get computer to start up properly.

Have checked for signs of damage, but everything looks fine.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

I sometime have to switch the HP unit off & on once or twice before I get an image

Tried reseatting the AGP card? Its possible that it could be faulty also. Maybe you should also try doing some house cleaning and reseat the RAM modules as well.

Tekken

#6 McTash

McTash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi

Apologies for the delayed response - I have been away.

First of all, thanks very much for the advice. As a relative novice in all things hardware, how would I go about resetting the AGP card on RAM modules?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users