Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

hi there;

i removed win vista by formatting the HDD on my laptop. after it erased the partiotions i used disk genius to auto partition the HDD.

i am trying to install win xp pro on the HDD but it wont boot from disk and a get an error message: NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART.

i do not have the system repair disk: only the install dsik for the os.

how to i work around the NTLDR message and install win xp?

i have hirens boot cd 13.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

If you get that message you are not booting to the cd.

Change the bios boot order and make sure the cd is the first device in that order. Then boot to the cd and the install routine will begin. If you're starting from scratch you really should create the partitions and format during the installation with the XP CD.

#3 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

i have selected the BIOS order to boot from the cd and still no success. to format the HHD i used daraks boot and nuke(DBAN). i did recreate the partions and the MBR as i have access the HDD using win server and mini xp. in mini xp the installation starts but cuts out after 2/3mins. i think there might be a problem with one of the files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

<<i removed win vista by formatting the HDD on my laptop>>

<<I did recreate the partions and the MBR...>>

System manufacturer and model?

Are you referencing creating a Vista MBR...and trying to install XP?

What is the origin of the "install disk" mentioned? Anything other than a MS Genuine XP CD seems bound to fail, IMO.

Louis

#5 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

hi louis;

i wanted to uninstall vista and i could only do that by formatting the HDD using Daraks Boot mand Nuke. this rmoved the partions on the HDD but i used diskgenius on hirens boot cd to auto assign some with an MBR. the HDD works as i have tested it in another computer.

i dont know if xp needs a different MBR but im looking online for any tools that might be able to fix it from hirens boot cd. the HDD is an 80GB hitachi. its about 3yrs old SATA drive (pc is acer aspire 7520).

i want to install xp on the HDD.

Edited by Stealth Assassin, 04 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

If you have a MS Genuine XP CD...and that's a big if...then you should be able to insert the CD after changing the boot order so that it boots from optical drive and not hard drive...then delete all existing partitions on the drive in question.

A Genuine XP CD allows for such...and the ensuing creation of partition/formatting/install of XP.

I've seen instances where a MS Genuine XP CD balks at installing on a hard drive which has pre-existing partition structures. Since I only have System Builder editions of XP, I cannot say whether this phenomeon only occurs with SB versions...I can only say that it has happened.

FWIW:
XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Louis

#7 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

thanks for the advice;

i will dig out my xp disk and give it a shot. if i cannot find it how do i work around the missing NTLDR?

i have tried installing it on a blank HDD with no partiotions but it needs a partion to install to.

#8 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

i have managed to install win xp and it is working.

many thanks Louis and Allan.

happy computing

Stealth Assassin

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Sorry, been on the golf course all day. Glad Louis was able to help and you're all straightened out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users