Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hanging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamo

jamo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

hi guyz? i have an xp system ,1.8 ghz (normal) 256 mb ram its hanging alot i have checked for spyware and viruses but none was found ,i formated and did a fresh installation , but its still hanging ,the processor is not onboard ,genuine intel
when you go to task manager the cpu usage remains at 100% even whe you close all the running applications , please reply using

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:31 AM

I am not fully understanding your troubles, so I will just throw out a couple of suggestions.

First of all, I am a firm believer in avoiding "writing zeroes" or reinstalling, for one reason, you are just basically installling Windows on top of the original install, so a reinstallation is a last resort in my opinion.

Have you tried to boot up in Safe mode? Safe mode boots only the items neccesary for Windows to function, and limits many third party software programs.

You say that it Hangs.....but you still have functionality? No "Blue Screen of Death"?

One of my older PC's uses a 1.8 GHz Celeron and had 256MB of RAM, and before I added RAM, it would take 5-6 minutes to boot, and if I tried to open anything before it was fully booted up, it would take even longer, and sometimes appear to stop, when actually it was just working overtime to load everything.

A possible solution could be to add RAM, that way your PC isn't constantly dipping into the virtual memory. It's a relatively cheap upgrade, and an even easier installation. Highly Recommended

You may want to check into Running Proccesses, chances are you may be loading up many programs on startup that you never use or need.

Sometimes people that find tweaking info on the web like the big debate on deleting the prefetch content have simialar issues, I learned by experience, and found that deleting all the content in that folder actually slows a PC down. I mention this just as a diagnosis, not a suggestion, meaning if you have deleted the prefetch files, that is another possible culprit for the rescource hogging.

There are so many possibilities, and there are several maintanance and setting mods that can increase the performance.

Some examples:

Empty Temporary Internet files.

Uninstall software you don't use

Don't use graphic intensive wallpaper and stick with a default screensaver

disable the fancy menu animations that are on by default

Defragment your drive weekly

Turn off Scheduled Tasks

If you have a decent memory, turn off automatic updates to programs, and update them manually

And the list goes on and on.........

Make sure not to click anything until the system is completely done booting. Pay attention to the tray on the right side of the taskbar(where the clock is) and see which icon appears last, it's not the most accurate method, but back in the day, I knew my PC was ready when the Printer icon appeared, it will differ from system to system, but again, it's just a simple gauge.

Hope this info helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:06 AM

Just to add a little more to what has already been said.

If you go to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del), click on the Processes tab. Under the CPU heading look for the offending process, the one that is eating up all of the CPU resources. Tell us what that process is and then we can tell you how to proceed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:23 AM

The 100% usage, is it "Sytem Idle Process"?
Have you cleaned out the inside of your computer? Heat is a big killer of electronices. Are all of you fans running? Again a heat related issue.
Run Everest Home and let us know the results on your temps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users